Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn on seat warmers from movile app without activating HVAC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to turn on the seat warmers without activating the whole HVAC system? I like to have a warm seat when I get in my car in the morning. But from what I've found, activating the seat warmers requires activating the whole HVAC system. In 5 minutes, I lose about 2% - 3% of battery because the HVAC is on. Is there another way?

Is there a way to turn on the seat warmers without activating the whole HVAC system? I like to have a warm seat when I get in my car in the morning. But from what I've found, activating the seat warmers requires activating the whole HVAC system. In 5 minutes, I lose about 2% - 3% of battery because the HVAC is on. Is there another way?

If you turn on any climate, the system is also heating the battery if necessary. I think the battery heater is 6kw. I have read different values for the total HVAC/seats/wheel from 6 kw to 12kw on top of the battery warming (on a X).

As holmgang wrote, set the temp to ambient or 2-3 degrees below.

If the temperature in the cabin is 40 degrees Fahrenheit, can I just set the HVAC to low and assume it will not kick on?

I would worry that the AC would come on. Seems crazy to turn on AC at 40 degrees, but computers do crazy things sometimes.

I'm guessing you don't have the car plugged in, and you want things slightly warmer but without using up any of the battery, is that right?

The seats heat up pretty quickly—not sure it's worth trying to preheat them.

• Helpful
Reactions: badiban
I would worry that the AC would come on. Seems crazy to turn on AC at 40 degrees, but computers do crazy things sometimes.

I'm guessing you don't have the car plugged in, and you want things slightly warmer but without using up any of the battery, is that right?

The seats heat up pretty quickly—not sure it's worth trying to preheat them.

AC is one of the most misunderstood facets of an automobile, it seems. I use AC all year around, even in below-freezing weather. AC is Air Conditioning. AC does not equal = cooling. We associate it with that, but that's only half the story. The number of people I have to explain it to even in my personal life is insane, e.g. I have friends who drive around in the damp winter using their rear defrost and cranking the air faster to try and clear the fogging inside the car. I tell them - relax the fan speed, turn on the AC. And they look at me like I'm crazy! Turn on the AC in freezing weather? Yes! This removes moisture from the air. Even in crazy wet, cold, damp Seattle I never have interior window fogging because my AC is always on, even with the temperature set to 67-69F.

Anyway, there's my $0.02. Use AC.

• Informative
Reactions: DaveRZ and badiban
This is true but doesn't answer the question. The car could have 5% humidity, for example...you don't need to cool the air then reheat it.
The OP wants seat heaters only, no heat, no A/C, no fan.

Sure, and that's fair. I'm just saying that when you have warm humans in a car, you increase the humidity level of said car, even in a dry environment. AC can be used here, effectively.

AC is one of the most misunderstood facets of an automobile, it seems. I use AC all year around, even in below-freezing weather. AC is Air Conditioning. AC does not equal = cooling. We associate it with that, but that's only half the story. The number of people I have to explain it to even in my personal life is insane, e.g. I have friends who drive around in the damp winter using their rear defrost and cranking the air faster to try and clear the fogging inside the car. I tell them - relax the fan speed, turn on the AC. And they look at me like I'm crazy! Turn on the AC in freezing weather? Yes! This removes moisture from the air. Even in crazy wet, cold, damp Seattle I never have interior window fogging because my AC is always on, even with the temperature set to 67-69F.

Anyway, there's my $0.02. Use AC.

I actually didn’t know this. Thanks for sharing! Still feels like a feature Tesla should add to their mobile app. But for now I’ll make do with turning on cold air and seat warmers in the morning.