Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal “discussion”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The turn signal / indicator control takes a bit of getting used to. I found myself activating the opposite direction a few times when trying to stop the indicator. Getting out of the vehicle without a "power off" button seems odd. At the moment, I use the iPhone app to activate "vehicle lock" after getting out, but I wish there was a more positive way to just push something to say "shut the car off" and have it lock the doors when I close them. I am probably missing something in the correct procedure to leave the car, but just passing along first impressions here.
I still say people complaining about this is using their turn signals wrong. Instead of locking the turn signal in place, just hold it halfway down. It isn't rocket science to hold it in place while signaling to change lanes for those that feel they need to have undivided attention to barely nudge the wheel.

The car turns itself off like like any Tesla (don't know about Roadster since that is what you drive). Just make sure in the screen settings that walk away lock is set (I believe it is by default).

I still say people complaining about this is using their turn signals wrong. Instead of locking the turn signal in place, just hold it halfway down. It isn't rocket science to hold it in place while signaling to change lanes for those that feel they need to have undivided attention to barely nudge the wheel.
Unless you're changing lanes when there are 0 other cars around in your direction of travel or you're 100% sure you're entering a brand new lane (e.g. left or right turn lane that just appeared) where no cars can suddenly appear, SMOG (Signal, Mirror, Over the shoulder (to check to thru your side windows and your blind spots), Go) is important.

We went over this before:
Two days with Model 3 impressions/review- This is not a mini model S

I certainly don't want to be on the road near you if your lane changes consist only of holding the lever partway and barely nudging the wheel and/or if you're signaling so late that it's useless.

Last edited:
Unless you're changing lanes when there are 0 other cars around in your direction of travel or you're 100% sure you're entering a brand new lane (e.g. left or right turn lane that just appeared) where no cars can suddenly appear, SMOG (Signal, Mirror, Over the shoulder (to check to thru your side windows and your blind spots), Go) is important.
Somehow I had a feeling you would weigh in again. You can certainly use your SMOG (Simple Minded Old Guy) technique while still holding onto the the turn signal. I'd hate to see how challenged you would be with a manual transmission.

Last edited:
The turn signal / indicator control takes a bit of getting used to. I found myself activating the opposite direction a few times when trying to stop the indicator.
As I've mentioned in another thread, the goofy signal lever sounds like what BMW puts in their cars, including Minis. Not sure how many years they've been doing this but it's definitely been going on since at least 2015. When I encountered this, I wondered if this is related to the reputation that BMW drivers have of not using their signals. Perhaps they were thrown off by the goofy signal controls, never learned how to shut off signal w/o accidentally signaling in the opposite direction --> they stop signaling altogether?

We went over this before:

I certainly don't want to be on the road near you if your lane changes consist only of holding the lever partway and barely nudging the wheel and/or if you're signaling so late that it's useless.
Somehow I had a feeling you would weigh in again. You can certainly use your SMOG (Simple Minded Old Guy) technique while still holding onto the the turn signal. I'd hate to see how challenged you would be with a manual transmission.
Your derision of the method and the acronym SMOG implies that you do NOT follow it. I stand by what I say. I do not want to be on the road near you.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/signaling currently says:
Always signal when turning left or right, changing lanes, slowing down, or stopping; it lets other drivers, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians
Signal:
  • During the last 100 feet before reaching the turning point (left or right turn).
    CAUTION!— Even though you signal, do not assume that the space you want to occupy is clear.
  • Before every lane change. Check your mirrors, look over your shoulder, and check your blind spot before changing lanes.
  • At least 5 seconds before you change lanes on a freeway.
  • Even when you do not see other vehicles. A vehicle you do not see may suddenly appear and hit you.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/traffic_lanes currently says:
Before changing lanes, signal, look in all your mirrors, and:

• Check traffic behind and beside you.
  • Look over your left or right shoulder to make sure the lane you want is clear.
  • Check for vehicles, motorcyclists, and bicycle traffic in your blind spot.
  • Be sure there is enough room for your vehicle in the next lane.
Please use the proper method of changing lanes, for your own safety and that of others that share the road with you.

In the California I live in, 40% of drivers I see have one hand on the wheel, the other holding the cell phone (at highway speeds, and noses down due to our legislators having mandated it). No signaling.

Of the remaining 60%, maybe 50% of those signal. I remain unafraid yet cautious.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/traffic_lanes currently says:
Please use the proper method of changing lanes, for your own safety and that of others that share the road with you.
You sure quote a lot of regulations yet don't acknowledge you can still do everything stated while holding on to the turn signal. If they intended for you to lock the turn signal in place, they would have made it the ONLY option for challenged people like you.

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna
As I've mentioned in another thread, the goofy signal lever sounds like what BMW puts in their cars, including Minis. Not sure how many years they've been doing this but it's definitely been going on since at least 2015. When I encountered this, I wondered if this is related to the reputation that BMW drivers have of not using their signals. Perhaps they were thrown off by the goofy signal controls, never learned how to shut off signal w/o accidentally signaling in the opposite direction --> they stop signaling altogether?

Your derision of the method and the acronym SMOG implies that you do NOT follow it. I stand by what I say. I do not want to be on the road near you.

So fortunate we have you to lecture us.

In the California I live in, 40% of drivers I see have one hand on the wheel, the other holding the cell phone (at highway speeds, and noses down due to our legislators having mandated it). No signaling.

Of the remaining 60%, maybe 50% of those signal. I remain unafraid yet cautious.
Since you're in So Cal, it does seem to be a So Cal thing when I'm down there. :(

In So Cal, I've seen so many drivers just zip between lanes numerous times on the highway w/o signalling once. :( It's not as common here in the SF Bay Area.

There's this crazy habit down in So Cal where if you signal, it's a signal for some jerk to close up the gap and not let you in, so therefore, it's "better" not to signal. :( I still signal before lane changes for safety reasons, even while down there.

Last edited:
Reactions: hckyplyr

My ‘97 M3 (BMW) had non locking turn signals, so BMW has had them at least 10 years.
Not sure why people dislike them. I prefer them. It’s really not hard to get used to.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
One of the interesting features of non-locking turn signals is one can press it in the SAME direction to cancel. No need to push it the opposite way (though that works too).

In the Model 3, when AutoPilot is commanded to change lanes, it will stop the blinking when the lane change is complete. The Model S/X cannot do that, as the locked position of the stalk isn't under software control.