Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal control switches adding tactile feed back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CBGPE

Supporting Member
Jan 15, 2020
SPRING VALLEY
There is very little tactile feel to the turn signals other than a low raised rib between the left and right turn buttons.
I added a very small adhesive backed triangle adjacent to the turn signals . The flat of the triangle is adhacent and inboard of the left signal. The point of the triangle is adhacent and inboard of the right signal. I use my thumb to activate the switches. When my thumb is on the turn signal switch I can feel the flat or the point and I know which button I am over immediately and don't have to look. This lack of tactile feel which you get from a turn signal staulk was my biggest operator control issue. I found the mod helpful and easy to reverse. No hunting for the button. I used a small segment of corner of a square adhesive backed rubber bumper. I have enough material for about 500 cars LOL.
Clear Adhesive Bumper Pads 106-PC Combo Pack (Round, Spherical, Square) Sound Dampening Transparent Rubber Feet for Cabinet Doors, Drawers, Glass Tops, Picture Frames, Cutting Boards - - Amazon.com

Clear Adhesive Bumper Pads 106-PC Combo Pack (Round, Spherical, Square) Sound Dampening Transparent Rubber Feet for Cabinet Doors, Drawers, Glass Tops, Picture Frames, Cutting Boards

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 135
Woof. That’s one solution, I guess.

hopefully an aftermarket manufacturer will come out with something slightly more fitting for a $130K vehicle.
This was my first try to see if it helped. It does. I can always find the signal button quickly without looking . The materail was something I could get overnight from amazon. Now that it does do the trick. I will see about a better solution that is a little more subtle. Perhaps you could suggest something ? I was thinking about some mat black sticky back rubber material about 3 MM 1/8 inch thick that could be cut into triangles as well.

Reactions: brkaus
This was my first try to see if it helped. It does. I can always find the signal button quickly without looking . The materail was something I could get overnight from amazon. Now that it does do the trick. I will see about a better solution that is a little more subtle. Perhaps you could suggest something ? I was thinking about some mat black sticky back rubber material about 3 MM 1/8 inch thick that could be cut into triangles as well.
I’ve thought about looking for a single, circular piece of clear rubber to go over one of the indicators. That would serve to indicate left from right for me.

Also looking forward to what the aftermarket will bring.

The muscle memory is kicking in and I am much more comfortable with the turn signals. Of all the control system changes the turn signal system was the most annoying. I suspect you are correct I may not need them long term. I got some adhesive backed black rubber sheet. It is about 1/16 inch. I will cut a two small triangles and see it that gives me enough tactile feed back. I think it probably will give enough feed back and it will be more visually pleasing.

Reactions: quickstrike12
Since I last posted I was able to get some thin black rubber sheeting that was adhesive backed. Here are the photos. The black rubber is not a good match for the black color of the yoke but it's less obvious. The tactile feed back is sufficient. I have to say the signalling errors have simply ceased to be a problem with the old fix. I have enough of this material for approximately 379 cars with a 2X36 inch strip. I purchased the material on Amazon. I was trying to think of a way to share my supply with other owners but then thought DUH if someone is buying a $150K out the door price car $10 to avoid an accident due to a signaling error isn't a problem.
Best Regards to all
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 72
$130k for a new Model S with unusable critical safety controls which are demonstrably dangerous, and just plain ridiculous! When you really need the horn to help prevent or mitigate a crash, where is it?! Where’s the right spoke? Is it nearly upside down at the 8:00 o’clock position? Is it moving all around as you cross arms on the yoke trying to avoid a crash?! What happens in a roundabout when you’re steering around but you need to signal your exit? Where are the tune signals? Upside down on the other side of the wheel, your arms are crossed and the buttons have no feel.

Stalkless is a catastrophe.

@Dan_Foster
”unusable” “Critical safety component“ “demonstrably dangerous“ “ridiculous“ “catastrophe“
ha ha ha you don’t think maybe your overselling or overstating this do you? sounds like an article from the Hindenburg crash LOL

would you mind describing for me this catastrophic incident that can be avoided by simply using your horn within 1/2 second? Does this happen a lot to you while driving?

My left hand has some coordination problems that do not affect driving in my current S. A stalk to indicate a turn is no problem, but I expect using my left hand (particularly my thumb) to select a button on the yoke would be very difficult.

Almost hate to mention it, but maybe automatic (not initiated via a button press) voice control for the turn signals?

The bottom line is the otherwise most perfect car ever made should not have alienating controls which were obviously rammed into production without an ergonomic study nor real world testing.

Reactions: 666kW and QUBO