TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Turn signal dims the DRL

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by smd, Feb 28, 2013.

1. smd

smd Member

I pulled up behind a van with a windowless rear in the left turn lane today, so I had a great reflection of the front of my car, including the DRLs. When I turned on my left turn signal, I noticed that the DRL on the left side dimmed. While I waited, I switched off the turn signal and the DRL came back to the same level as the right side. I briefly tried the right turn signal as well and it too dimmed the right DRL. I thought it was kind of weird, but after thinking more about it, I believe it was designed that way, so when the turn signal is on, the dimmed DRL on that side makes the turn signal stand out more to other drivers looking at it. How clever!

(I'm on 4.2 software if that makes any difference)

2. XrstalLens

XrstalLens Model S P1327 VIN P01867

I believe this is actually a requirement from the DOT. Any lighting within a certain distance of the turn signal cannot be brighter than some specific level in order to ensure the turn signal can be easily seen. Other cars do it too - for example, the Audi DRLs turn off completely when the turn signal is on (the "Audi wink"). I am very appreciative that Tesla took the time and trouble to make the DRL dim instead of go out completely, as I am not a big fan of the "wink".

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

DRLs are mandated in Canada, so I get to see a lot of DRL/Turn Signal interaction. It is very common to see cars shut off the headlight or DRL light on the same side as a blinking turn signal. My Cadillac CTS turns off its dedicated white DRL and then flashes the separate amber turn signal . I think this is to make the turn signal easier to distinguish. Interestingly, the DRLs stay on when I use the 4-way flashers.

4. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Must be a US thing. Over here the Audi DRL's do exactly what the Model S does - they dim while blinking. I still find the look rather strange, but if it helps safety...

5. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Agree, not a fan of the wink

6. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Ot, but is there a way to make the lower LEDs or fogs come on in daytime? I look at my reflection as well and noticed the dimming drl, but when I press fog on/off it does not change the lower lights at all while in daytime. I wish there was a way to drive with the parking style ones on.

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I agree I am not a huge fan of the Audi 'wink'. I think I saw the same full 'wink' on a Ford Fusion, or a Kia Optima (or whatever the Hyundai version is). I much prefer the dimming of the LED outline when the blinker is operational.

Another thing I have noticed. When you have you headlamps on. You still have the LED outline, but when you use the blinkers the headlight and the LED outline stay full brightness. So the dimming only happens with the DRLs. Not with full headlights. Seems kind of arbitrary.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

In Canada, I've only ever noticed the full "wink" (i.e. no dimming) on every car that exhibits this behavior. Question to Canadian Model S owners (where DRLs are compulsory and can't be overridden): Do the DRLs go completely off with the turn signal or dim?

Yep. It's only in the daytime. Full headlights stay on with turn signals. I think the idea is that when it's bright out, you may not notice a blinking turn signal directly adjacent to a white light, but at night we are all accustomed to turn signals with headlights.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

On the touchscreen, Controls, switch from Auto to Parking Lights.

- - - Updated - - -

They dim.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

...but in Canada, the DRLs would have to stay on with the Parking Lights too, right? I can turn the Parking Lights on in my CTS, but the DRLs stay on and can't be turned off. I've been in a US-spec CTS and the DRLs CAN be over-ridden). I further assume that the DRL button on the touchscreen is greyed out (or missing) from the Canadian-spec cars.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, if you turn on the parking lights manully, the DRLs turn on too, even if you are parked.