Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn Signal Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No actual turn signal issues. At least the front appear to work. I can see the reflection off cars and signs, etc in front of me. Not sure about the rear.

No third party dash cams. I do have a USB plugged in for recording the images from the Tesla cams. I unplugged this for a few months and the issue still persisted.
Nothing is close to the microphone grill. I thing the SC check that theory out….
Right now it just appears to be one of those things…….

No actual turn signal issues. At least the front appear to work. I can see the reflection off cars and signs, etc in front of me. Not sure about the rear.

No third party dash cams. I do have a USB plugged in for recording the images from the Tesla cams. I unplugged this for a few months and the issue still persisted.
Nothing is close to the microphone grill. I thing the SC check that theory out….
Right now it just appears to be one of those things…….

If there are no actual turn signal issues it may just be one of those nuisance things. When mine was ultimately discovered to be a loose electrical connection that triggered the "fault" the Tesla techs admitted the last thing they wanted to go was dig around inside the car, test wires/circuits for grounds all while chasing a potential non-issue. They feared that the investigation itself may cause more damage than I was originally seeing in the problem.

Do you have any actual turn signal issues or just the warning? When I was getting the warning, I didn't have much, if any, actual turn signal issues. So they were a bit blind as to what the problem was.

Do you have any third party dashcams or anything else tapping the glass break sensor in the microphone grill?
I don’t think there is a true Turn Signal fault, I have noting attached. It started happening right after the upgrade.

If there are no actual turn signal issues it may just be one of those nuisance things. When mine was ultimately discovered to be a loose electrical connection that triggered the "fault" the Tesla techs admitted the last thing they wanted to go was dig around inside the car, test wires/circuits for grounds all while chasing a potential non-issue. They feared that the investigation itself may cause more damage than I was originally seeing in the problem.
But how do we actually know. I’m not a tech/mechanic. It is a nuisance, but how to get it resolved. It’s been a year.

But how do we actually know. I’m not a tech/mechanic. It is a nuisance, but how to get it resolved. It’s been a year.

The SC could start tracing wires and trying to find a short or other electrical issue if replaced hardware hasn't addressed it. But the more they have to take apart and digging they do, that's where you run a risk of them breaking something else in the process. It is going to be a risk/reward decision but I would ask the SC their thoughts.

Have they been able to replicate the issue and look at the logs to see if they can't pin down a possible cause?

The SC could start tracing wires and trying to find a short or other electrical issue if replaced hardware hasn't addressed it. But the more they have to take apart and digging they do, that's where you run a risk of them breaking something else in the process. It is going to be a risk/reward decision but I would ask the SC their thoughts.

Have they been able to replicate the issue and look at the logs to see if they can't pin down a possible cause?
I have given them the exact time stamp and they see it and replace stuff and then it’s back within two days.
A few visits ago I think they replaced the body modular but for got to update the keys so every time I drove after a minute it said no key found. I was only getting that error for a week or so. Nothing for the turn signal. Then they sent a mobile tech to reprogram the keys. Once they did that the turn signal error returned. I think it is maybe software, but I have had so many updates it is not being addressed.

I have given them the exact time stamp and they see it and replace stuff and then it’s back within two days.
A few visits ago I think they replaced the body modular but for got to update the keys so every time I drove after a minute it said no key found. I was only getting that error for a week or so. Nothing for the turn signal. Then they sent a mobile tech to reprogram the keys. Once they did that the turn signal error returned. I think it is maybe software, but I have had so many updates it is not being addressed.

But see if they can replicate vs just seeing the log where it showed up. That was how we finally figured out my case. They could never reproduce the error and we figured out that the reason why was because it was their standard practice to unplug my dashcam when the car was into service. Its why I was getting the error and they weren't. Not saying this is your issue but may be worthwhile to see if they can test drive and see the same error.

But see if they can replicate vs just seeing the log where it showed up. That was how we finally figured out my case. They could never reproduce the error and we figured out that the reason why was because it was their standard practice to unplug my dashcam when the car was into service. Its why I was getting the error and they weren't. Not saying this is your issue but may be worthwhile to see if they can test drive and see the same error.
Ok I can do that or try, the problem is it doesn’t always happen

Is there any predictability or pattern to when it does happen?
Seems like first two times I drive it for the day. Example I went out about an hour ago and drove down the block turned left the error came on for two seconds. Then turned right error again for two seconds. Then no more for any other turns. Went to the bank car was off for 30 minutes then I cam home. No errors

Seems like first two times I drive it for the day. Example I went out about an hour ago and drove down the block turned left the error came on for two seconds. Then turned right error again for two seconds. Then no more for any other turns. Went to the bank car was off for 30 minutes then I cam home. No errors

Yea, same exact thing for me. First drive of the day, first use of each signal for each drive. Asked SC to hold overnight and drive it in the morning to replicate.