Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal intermittent failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced their turn signals simply not working? Had the LR a couple months and last week started having problems with the turn signals simply not working. Unable to signal anything for a minute or so then they go back to normal operation. A couple times I signaled a lane change and couldn't turn the signal off without making a turn. Has anyone else had this issue?

Not specifically what you describe but I've had them fail to work entirely until I did the 2 button reset. I also have an issue where the soft "left" turn indicator (lane change where it blinks a few times and turns itself off) doesn't work at all and I have to do a hard signal and then do it again to turn it off. "Right" doesn't do this ever.

Not specifically what you describe but I've had them fail to work entirely until I did the 2 button reset. I also have an issue where the soft "left" turn indicator (lane change where it blinks a few times and turns itself off) doesn't work at all and I have to do a hard signal and then do it again to turn it off. "Right" doesn't do this ever.

yep, just noticed it recently. The left turn will go off by itself, no rhyme or reason either. I'm first in line and it will go off, I'm inching forward behind someone else turning left it will turn off before making the turn. Next time it will work perfectly.

Dropped the Y off this afternoon at the service center for turn signal failure plus radio volume control and voice commands no longer working (the later 2 problems just started yesterday). I hope this is a simple electronic component failure in the steering wheel that just needs to be replaced. I'll update when I hear back.

Last edited:
I was JUST about to finally post a new thread on this in the Model3 forum, but glad that I found this. I've had my Model3 for almost two years now and I have had the 3-blinker "soft" signal fail to execute about a few times per month on average since day one. First of all, there's no way to predict when it will happen. Second, every time that it does happen, I think that perhaps it could possibly be user error, but this is the only car in ~100 cars that I've driven over the course of 14+ years so far where I have ever, ever had this happen. At this point, I think it's happened enough times over a long enough period to say that it is not user error.

The only reason why I haven't brought it in is because I figure there's a good chance that the techs won't be able to replicate the issue since, again, it happens quite randomly. But maybe I will bring it in after all if @threeputts got his steering column control module replaced.

The only reason why I haven't brought it in is because I figure there's a good chance that the techs won't be able to replicate the issue since, again, it happens quite randomly. But maybe I will bring it in after all if @threeputts got his steering column control module replaced.
By the time I brought mine to the SC the problems were easily reproducable as the scrool wheel volume controls had completely stopped working. When I first noticed the issue it's wasn't just the 3-blink soft signal that was having issues, the continuous full turn signal was also intermittently failing.

By the time I brought mine to the SC the problems were easily reproducable as the scrool wheel volume controls had completely stopped working. When I first noticed the issue it's wasn't just the 3-blink soft signal that was having issues, the continuous full turn signal was also intermittently failing.

Ah I see. Yeah, it wouldn't hurt for me to bring it in at this point, though I don't have any issues with the steering wheel buttons and I've never had issues with the continuous full turn signal function. I just hate that sometimes I look like the dbag who isn't signaling when switching lanes.