TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

turn signal level squishiness

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by PhilBa, Mar 6, 2014.

1. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

I don't know if this is just mine or a general thing but when I manually cancel a turn signal, a lot of times (maybe 50%) there won't be a click as I move the lever to the center. This causes me to wind up signaling the opposite turn as I keep going until it clicks. The lever should always click when you move it from L or R to center just the same as when you move it from C to L or R.

2. kirkp

kirkp Member

You do know that if you just lightly tap the lever up or down it will flash the turn signal 3-4 times and automatically stop, right? No need to ever manually cancel the turn signals for a lane change.

3. caddieo

caddieo Member

True, there is no click at the center point, but if you flip it just enough to overcome the detent resistance instead of holding and pushing it, it will stop at the center. It will continue past center to the opposite side if you hold it and keep pushing. It takes a few flips to get the right feel for the amount of force needed. Not a problem for me.

4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I've found that's nowhere near enough time to legally execute most lane changes. The blinker has to come on before the change to indicate intention and then stay on during the entire maneuver. Three blinks and about 2 seconds is just not enough. That said, you can just press it up against the click stop (without passing it) and hold it there. When you let go it returns itself to center.

The times I've manually cancelled, it's always had the correct feedback, though it is, in general, squishier than any other car I've driven. I got used to it.

5. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

OMG Gizmotoy! You are obviously not driving California style. You got that P for a reason right? Now get out there and cut and dice like the rest! :biggrin: (Withdrawing tongue from cheek right now!)

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I agree. Overall Tesla's timing here is too quick for a good lane change. I don't have a similar problem in my other vehicle.

No, it's not on my list of things worth bothering to mention to Tesla yet though. :)

7. kirkp

kirkp Member

Perhaps, but it's the same amount of time as my Mercedes and previous BMW and VW. Probably copied over directly from the Mercedes switch gear. Of course, Tesla could change that via an update if they wished.

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I probably stick out like a sore thumb for actually using my turn signals. "I bet he's not from here." I got forced onto the shoulder yesterday when some #(@* in a BMW decided he wanted over. At least with a turn signal I would have gotten some notice he was about to be a jerk. If someone signals I always make room.

Agreed. It's pretty much all of them, here. This is by no means a "Tesla problem." They're all about the same, and they're all too short. I assume it was done to limit how long they blink when you hit them accidentally.

9. Kraken

Kraken Member

if you hit it accidentally, hit it again. It will stop.

10. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

You'll get better with it with practice. Every car I have driven has a different feel to the turn signal. This is the first car I've had with the 4 blink with partial pressure. On other cars I just hold the signal half way till I completed my lane change.

11. dtich

dtich #P708

phil, i think some may be misinterpreting your issue, but i think i know what you're talking about. occasionally, the blinker stalk when manually needing a reset to center (as when doing a long lane change, or if you have turned a corner that turns out not to have sufficient radius to auto reset the turn stalk) doesn't click back, it just, as you say, squishes, or mushes, back, with no corresponding affirming click. this i think could be a design flaw, or a simple oddity, or maybe it's just our two turn stalks.. i can say, that in almost a year and a half of driving, while it gets my attention, it hasn't seemed to indicate a fault or error in function. the stalk always works fine, even though sometimes i think it broke! (in the beginning anyway..). fwiw.

i haven't mentioned it to service frankly because it's not ever a real issue and i never think of it when i'm communicating with them.... so that says something.

12. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Thanks. After seeing the responses, I've kept close attention to it and think I may have a defective one. Most of the time it has a solid click when returning back to center but other times it doesn't click and I wind up finding the opposite signal click. It's possible I haven't fully engaged it but I do get a click when setting the turn signal.

13. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Hope it gets fixed.

I agree with the secondary comments about three or four blinks being too short. I would think three or four seconds would be more appropriate. You have to look, signal and then look again which takes at least that long.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I don't care what car it's "the same amount of time" as. It's too short. Fundamentally incorrect, from a first principles perspective.