Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn Signal Lever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming up on 3 years with my 2015 S 70D. The turn signal lever has recently become much stiffer to push when signalling a right turn. Still normal when signalling a left turn. Ever heard anything like that before?

Also, when I push the lever up it is biasing toward me, so that I have unintentionally been turning on the high beams.
Once, after completing a right turn, when the lever normally snaps back to center, it instead snapped too far and began signalling a left turn.
My annual service center visit is next month, I'll bring this up there.

Also, when I push the lever up it is biasing toward me, so that I have unintentionally been turning on the high beams.
Once, after completing a right turn, when the lever normally snaps back to center, it instead snapped too far and began signalling a left turn.
My annual service center visit is next month, I'll bring this up there.

Never heard of this. My 2014 MS with over 260k km (should I say 260 Mm?) doesn't have such issues.

Please do report back.

Based on my description of the problem, the Service Center has ordered a replacement SCCM ("steering component module" - I don't know what the other "C" is for). We'll have to wait and see if that does the trick. In the same email in which they told me this, they also referred to this as my "gear shift concern", so I'm not exactly filled with confidence.

That collar or whatever where the lever goes into the column had cracked, and when the lever moved the pieces could get in the way. Pic is of a good one on the loaner, I didn't get a pic of mine when it was broken.
Lever3.jpg

The SC replaced it

STEERING COLUMN CONTROL MODULE - 1
ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL,
GENERATION 2 STEERING, AND HEATER
(1043892-00-A)
AIRBAG HARNESS RETAINING CLIP
(1028053-00-A) 1
BOLT RC M16x1.5x26 PC88 PTP (1036655-
00-A) 1

I can't tell you how much it cost. (Looks like they would have covered it under warranty anyway). After replacing this and doing all the annual service items they tried to update the firmware, but it failed. Kept failing after a bunch of retries. They gave me a loaner and sent me home. Next morning they were able to get the firmware update completed. Because of the inconvenience, they covered the cost of the entire visit. So I had to make the trip a second time (2.5 hours each way) but I got to drive a P85D for a few days and got free service.