Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal only blinks once, sometimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the highway, sometimes the momentary blinker (lightly pushing down) only blinks once. Usually it blinks three times as expected, but occasionally only once. Does anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?
In my MY, I fix it by ignoring it.;) I have a theory but not worth exploring but goes something like this: on the one blink you just haven't pushed it quite far enough to make it work as expected. Enjoy the car.

• Informative
Reactions: EVEnergy
Strange. Not sure if this helps but I had a similar problem, but pretty much the opposite. For me, the turn signal would not disable on the half pull. It was very easy to reproduce and occurred about 1/3 of the time. Try three times and you were pretty much guaranteed to reproduce.
I opened a service request and they came out and replaced the steering wheel (which also replaces the turn stalks). I did have to show him when he got out there before he replaced. For my issue, replacement seems plausible since likely the stalks would register a full pull when the driver only did a half. Yours is doing something that shouldn't happen at all (just a single blink). Open a SR and see what they say.

On the highway, sometimes the momentary blinker (lightly pushing down) only blinks once. Usually it blinks three times as expected, but occasionally only once. Does anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?

The blinker seems to have 3 modes of operation, even though the manual only suggests two:

Quick press to first detent gives you 3 blinks for a lane change.

Long press to first detent gives you blinks until you release.

Press hard to second detent gives you permanent flashing until you turn.

In your case perhaps it thinks you are giving it a long press to the first detent?

One question I have, do you notice this behavior on both left and right turn signals? In the case of my 2018 LR RWD, there was an issue with the signal but only in the left direction. It would often misread a left first detent lane change press as a permanent flashing signal, and I had a mobile service visit fix that.

Reactions: ev_go123 and jmaddr
One question I have, do you notice this behavior on both left and right turn signals? In the case of my 2018 LR RWD, there was an issue with the signal but only in the left direction. It would often misread a left first detent lane change press as a permanent flashing signal, and I had a mobile service visit fix that.
This is a good data point. For my issue it only happened on the right side.

The blinker seems to have 3 modes of operation, even though the manual only suggests two:

Quick press to first detent gives you 3 blinks for a lane change.

Long press to first detent gives you blinks until you release.

Press hard to second detent gives you permanent flashing until you turn.

In your case perhaps it thinks you are giving it a long press to the first detent?

I would think that if you long press on the first detent, it would still give you a minimum of 3 blinks. I'll have to test this though.

Good point about one side doing it more than the other maybe, I'll test this too.

Thinking about this more, I wonder if what's going on is that sometimes the blinker is rebounding past center which then cancels the 3 blink after only one. This should be easy to test if it's possible and I might be able to sort of hold it back to see if this is the issue.

Regardless, it sounds like this is not normal functionality, so I think a SC ticket might be in my future.

I believe @bbell has it right. I sometimes hold the stalk a bit too long and I get a single blink. IT might be that I hold it too short instead of too long but I believe that's essentially what's happening.
Yup I just tried it out a bit more and that was definitely it. The first detent hold functionality triggers really fast, after about half a second, right before the second blink, so it's very easy to accidently trigger if you just linger on the stalk a bit too long. I feel like that delay should be more like 1 second, or they should just remove the hold feature entirely, but whatever. At least now I know how to fix it. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: GtiMart