Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal - single vs double press (multiple lane changes?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or given the new auto-turn signal update, there's no difference between single press and double press of the turn signal stalk? Changing multiple lanes can be frustrating when your turn signal cancels and you have to take your concentration off changing lanes to press it again. I love the auto-cancel after lane change, it's great 90% of the time, but annoying when i want to move over to another lane. It seems like a missed opportunity for the double (long) press -- cause as far as I can tell, both single and double press do the same function. So in what scenario would long (double press) do something different? Or is there a setting i'm not aware of?

I agree with you. The Lexus implementation of this feature is fantastic, except for the new camera-moderated auto lane change turn off thing that Tesla does.

There is only one situation where I’ve found the hard press to be different to a soft press. That is when, say, the left indicator is on and you soft press to the left (downwards), it cancels the indicator. However, a hard press to the left will leave the indicator on.

It’s stupid. No matter what the current state of the indicator, a hard press should always mean “I want to turn left”, and a soft press should mean “cancel the opposite direction (only)” or “I want to change lanes”. A soft press should never mean “cancel the same direction”.