Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal stalk sometimes does not seem to do anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happens to me too, and almost always with the left turn signal. I just had a service appointment today and told them about this and I actually managed to reproduce the issue with a Tesla service rep sitting next to me in the car. I pushed the stalk repeatedly, briefly to the left to activate the 3 blink signal. One of them came out blank.

The rep said that it seemed like I was using the turn signal too quickly repeatedly and the software couldn't keep up. I honestly didn't buy it (I am more inclined to believe that it's a mechanical issue with the stalk), but he insisted that there was nothing wrong, and they didn't even want to check. It doesn't make sense.

I have another upcoming appointment at a different service center for an unrelated issue so I will try again to get it fixed. I believe it's a safety issue. I changed lanes a few times without a turn signal, thinking that I had used it - this shouldn't happen and if it does, it definitely shouldn't be explained away.

Not sure if this is the exact same issue, but on roundabouts (I'm in Australia), we indicate right (3rd exit) whilst going around and then left to exit the roundabout.

I learnt after about a year the best method to get it to switch directions of the turn signal is to pause momentarily at the halfway point on the way down (0.5s or less) to indicating left.

I've also learnt to cancel the turn signals by pushing again in the same direction as it seems more reliable. Works in all cases except on AP instigated merging onto freeways where it sometimes tries to move over a lane unecessarily when I'm already on the freeway. Then it needs to be the opposite. Same direction doesn't cancel it.

Not sure if this is the exact same issue, but on roundabouts (I'm in Australia), we indicate right (3rd exit) whilst going around and then left to exit the roundabout.

I learnt after about a year the best method to get it to switch directions of the turn signal is to pause momentarily at the halfway point on the way down (0.5s or less) to indicating left.

I've also learnt to cancel the turn signals by pushing again in the same direction as it seems more reliable. Works in all cases except on AP instigated merging onto freeways where it sometimes tries to move over a lane unecessarily when I'm already on the freeway. Then it needs to be the opposite. Same direction doesn't cancel it.
I think that these should be fixed by Tesla. Drivers shouldn't have to re-learn how to use the turn signal (like your "0.5 sec hold trick"). I have no problem relearning new and unique Tesla features. But the turn signal not behaving as expected is a safety issue that can confuse other drivers. And not every Tesla driver is a Tesla owner - a driver not used to a Tesla can rent or borrow one.

If Tesla gets enough reports of these things, they will probably fix them. I also think that it helps them if drivers from other countries point out unique issues that Tesla-specific features create outside the US. I have no idea how many of their software designers and engineers have driving experience outside of the US, but I'm in Europe and sometimes I notice features that clearly reflect the thinking of a US-based engineer who is used to how driving works in the US.

One such example is changing the maximum speed of TACC. If you scroll fast, it changes by 5km/h in Europe. 5mph increments makes sense in the US, because of the the speed limits (e.g. 45 or 65 mph). But in Europe there are no speed limits that aren't round numbers - we have 50, 90, 130, etc, there is no 125, so 5 km/h increments make no sense, and 5 km/h is only 3mph, so I often have to scroll forever like a maniac to set the speed limit I need to get to. So 10 km/h increments would make much more sense in EU.

Reactions: BigNick
@ss_lemonade Same thing has happened to me 3 times in the last 30-45 days. I also have a 2021 M3P. The 1st time I took it into Tesla they did not do anything. They just made it seem like it was an error on my end. The 2nd time it happened I took a screen shot on my phone to tell me the exact time it happened. Tesla had the car for 5 days and was working with an engineering team that was offsite and ended with no real resolution. My car did it a 3rd time yesterday and I made another appointment. Super frustrating at the moment with the car....

Most cars’ turn signal stalks activate as soon as the stall leaves the static position or the first detent. Thus, we are conditioned to release physical pressure once initial movement has initiated.

The M3 stalks don’t activate the desired feature until you fully reach the first detent or the end of the lever’s travel.

I have usually noticed the signal failed to activate after I inadvertently treat it like a traditional stalk (releasing pressure before actually hitting the desired stop).