Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn the heat up for extended range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving in the UK today. Outside air temperature 8 degrees. Inside temp set to 20.

Looking on my M3P energy page it stated if I turned the temperature UP by 2 degrees I’d save another couple of miles.

Is that for real or a bug? Turning the car temp up in cold weather can extend range?

It’s happened on many drives in the past but I’ve just disregarded it.

My old dad had a saying "The clever man will always find an explanation and the fool knows no better. Whether the explanation is the right one is another matter"
So for complete nonsense consider the following.. more power warms the battery to greater efficiency, the leaked heat warms the outside of the car producing a lower density film of air in contact with car skin and reduces drag, Increased temp expands the air in the car, reducing it’s density and thereby reducing total weight of vehicle and occupants. If the HVAC cold air is pumped out rearwards you have increased thrust. 🤣
🤣

Driving in the UK today. Outside air temperature 8 degrees. Inside temp set to 20.

Looking on my M3P energy page it stated if I turned the temperature UP by 2 degrees I’d save another couple of miles.

Is that for real or a bug? Turning the car temp up in cold weather can extend range?

It’s happened on many drives in the past but I’ve just disregarded it.
Tesla heat pump detailed, gives a boost to winter EV range

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
My old dad had a saying "The clever man will always find an explanation and the fool knows no better. Whether the explanation is the right one is another matter"
So for complete nonsense consider the following.. more power warms the battery to greater efficiency, the leaked heat warms the outside of the car producing a lower density film of air in contact with car skin and reduces drag, Increased temp expands the air in the car, reducing it’s density and thereby reducing total weight of vehicle and occupants. If the HVAC cold air is pumped out rearwards you have increased thrust. 🤣
🤣
Brilliant! Puts me in mind of some posts I was reading on Facebook a few days ago on the subject of crop circles. The wild, fantastic explanations "believers" were coming up with was hilarious. I tried to point out it was down to a couple of blokes with a board and a bit of string but of course that was far less interesting than the alien visitors/supernatural energy/quantum forces hypotheses.

Reactions: fantasmagorica
I thought the winter M3P energy usage page was just a picture of a dumpster fire

1675961806769.png

Hmmmm. So it’s not that clever after all!

View attachment 907142
Bizarre!

Mind you I have sometimes thought that the solar gain, even on a cold winter day, is such that the car is actually needing to run the AC more to cool down than it is needing to run heaters. I suppose in that scenario it might be marginally better to set the temperature higher to save energy. I have to say I prefer the simplicity and clarity of the older energy graphs and find that I use it less nowadays despite the added features.

At 22C you'll drift off to sleep and your right foot will lift off the pedal :)
Clearly Tesla need to work on this because 22C+ is into woman car temperature land. It shouldn't be recommending temperatures where a man might perish from heat exhaustion.

I've always wondered how a car can try to keep my side at 18C and my wife's side at 28C 😉

Bizarre!

Mind you I have sometimes thought that the solar gain, even on a cold winter day, is such that the car is actually needing to run the AC more to cool down than it is needing to run heaters. I suppose in that scenario it might be marginally better to set the temperature higher to save energy. I have to say I prefer the simplicity and clarity of the older energy graphs and find that I use it less nowadays despite the added features.

It's possible this is the case in isolated circumstances but the behaviour is *always* to tell you to set it to 22 in my car. And I have seen the dual personality behaviour of saying "you should have turned it down, now turn it up".

And on *every* morning commute, it makes its prediction, then the range underperforms the prediction and it says something about cold weather etc impacting range. There was a release not ages ago about looking at the weather forecast (hell it could even look at the current temperature).

Clearly Tesla need to work on this because 22C+ is into woman car temperature land. It shouldn't be recommending temperatures where a man might perish from heat exhaustion.

I've always wondered how a car can try to keep my side at 18C and my wife's side at 28C 😉

I've never actually tried extreme temperature splits ... we usually set 0.5C difference between driver and passenger side but rarely more than that ... I really don't know how well or not it could cope with extreme differences!

This morning... "Turn temperature up to 22 deg C to save 0.2% for the rest of this journey. Turning temperature down 1 deg C would have saved 1% on this journey".

The temperature was set to 20 deg C. So for the first 15 minutes I should set it to 19 but now I have to set it to 22.

Or is it a bug?
It's trying to make travel unbearable to you by telling you to increase the cabin temp by 1 degree per day until the car is too hot to be in. Only then can it achieve optimal efficiency through weight reduction (one less human = X% range increase).

Being serious for a second though - I don't see how anyone on here could give you a definitive yes/no on this. 'Possibly'? is likely the best anyone can do - none of us are going to go through the code line by line. You could ask Tesla UK.

My guess would be they are just exposing more granular insights as the software matures and the user base becomes more familiar with it or demands improvements - and this is one of those specific edge case ones where driving conditions, style and the journey in the route planner align in such a way.

I've never actually tried extreme temperature splits ... we usually set 0.5C difference between driver and passenger side but rarely more than that ... I really don't know how well or not it could cope with extreme differences!
It doesn't work really at extremes and I'm sure is also quite a waste of energy trying. However she won't stop trying so just have to live with it but generally results in excess noise of fans on both sides.

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado