Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turned away by Tesla store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2017 MS a couple months back and ever since have been unhappy with it. The sales people at the Tampa location told me the original car I ordered would come with certain features I asked about. When the car came it had none of them. After going back and forth with corporate many times they decided to take the car back but then I was left with limited choices in inventory and they said custom wasn't an option. The original car I ordered was the metallic white which is what I wanted. The choice of inventory was blue, black or red. I chose red and I've hated it ever since. I called the Orlando store since I didn't want to deal with the people that caused this issue and asked them about trading my current car in. They later called back and informed me that I would have to go to the Tampa store and deal with the same people I bought my car from. I know to some it's not a big deal but when your talking about a car that you've wanted for a long time it's a big deal. Is this normal that you are restricted to the store that you originally purchased from?

I agree with Yggdrasill here.

Wrap it up in a unique color. I really like LOVE the neon green on this Roadster
(Alas, Not Mine)
(But I do own a car this color)

But since it is your car, you may safely choose another color.

You are welcome.
A Tesla weakness is the kind of dull basic color choices right now.
Jason's Yellow bird comes to mind.
Love that.

It will cost less than the hit you will take trading.

You should not expect to be able to trade at the price you bought. This has less to do with the Tesla model vs traditional dealers than basic reality.

Plan B: Call some more SCs until you find someone you are comfortable with.

Attachments

• z  02 small.png
    z 02 small.png
    480.3 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Brando and brkaus
Life's just that way sometimes.

Like @Icer said, it's really your cheapest option to correct the problem. And you can choose from a nearly infinite color palette, and if you don't like it in a few years, just peel and do it again in a different color. I did a full Autoflex dip on my MS for $2200.

And was it really Tesla's fault? What features were you promised that you didn't get? Was it subjective things like range on a charge, autopilot features (still in development) or actual options you ordered that weren't delivered? If you have the order sheet, and your car didn't have those options you paid for, you could have refused delivery.

Let's start with this....What features did they say you would get that you didn't?

Originally the sales guy talked me out of the 75d and said I should get a 75 because the only difference is AWD and .1S 0-60 time and $5k. I told him all the options I wanted and he confirmed the one he ordered would have them. Tesla's data sheets aren't very detailed and I was unable to confirm with the Tesla website because the 75 wasn't on there anymore, only the 75D. I wanted to confirm it had leather, ambient lighting, adaptive headlights and smart air suspension. The salesman was confused and thought the 75 and 75D both came with it standard minus the leather. My car came in without any of those options and a broken glass roof. The leather he knew about because he sent me a text with a picture of clothe seats and said sorry they aren't what we discussed but he thinks I will really like them. This was while the care was on the way to the SC for delivery. He was very baffled that my car was lacking those options when I called him and after that wouldn't return any calls or texts. The leather could partly be my fault because I didn't know clothe was even an option because the description was "black multi pattern" and he never mentioned clothe as single time. I now see Tesla just changed it to say textile so maybe I wasn't the only one?

Well, your experience isn't uncommon, unfortunately. The Tesla sales teams have high turnover, and as such, these [young] kids in the stores often don't know as much as they should and it leads to frustrating situations like this, especially with CPO and inventory cars that aren't on their lot and there's limited info on them. (All the details on options are actually there, they just need to know how to look them up.)

It also sounds like they were playing a bit of hardball, although moving from an inventory car to a custom build (and I assume you'd be paying the difference in price) sounds like a good option from their end (move a new car off the line instead of an inventory car), and I feel they could have given you even an old P85 as a loaner for a month or so.

So did you take delivery of the first car? I think you could have refused delivery (maybe you didn't know that, or they didn't tell you that was an option). That would have made your case a little stronger, although that's all water under the bridge now.

I'd just suck it up to experience, get the car wrapped or dipped, and move on and enjoy the crap out of the car. In a few years, you'll want to upgrade anyway (most people do), so you won't be stuck with this car for that long anyway.

Reactions: Icer
... they said custom wasn't an option. ...

I must say, this stretches the imagination. Chevrolet won't necessarily build to order, but it's first complaint I've heard that Tesla refuses to do it.

Since the above quote is unlikely to be factual, is this more like what happened?

You found a killer price on an inventory car. When you received it you found it is wasn't the bargain you hoped for. You still wanted the discount, so you are stuck with inventory cars. You bought one in a color you hate.

Why would you buy something you hate? That is really bizarre behavior.

(never could understand color fixation except possibly 'anything but black')

I’m for the wrap option. It will be $2-4K. You pick your color. The underlying paint will be well preserved and will ultimately help when you sell in the future.

How much discount did you get on inventory?

I didn't get any discount. I actually had to write another check for $9k to get those missing options I was originally told I was getting.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I must say, this stretches the imagination. Chevrolet won't necessarily build to order, but it's first complaint I've heard that Tesla refuses to do it.

Since the above quote is unlikely to be factual, is this more like what happened?

You found a killer price on an inventory car. When you received it you found it is wasn't the bargain you hoped for. You still wanted the discount, so you are stuck with inventory cars. You bought one in a color you hate.

Why would you buy something you hate? That is really bizarre behavior.

(never could understand color fixation except possibly 'anything but black')

Not understanding how what I just posted isn't factual. I didn't get any killer deal or anything like that. I believe the first car had maybe $1,000 deduction because it had 100 miles on it. The first one was the color I wanted but without the options I was told. This was my first time buying a Tesla so I relied on my sales person to answer my questions. I have emails and text messages that back up everything. If Tesla did nothing wrong why did they buy the car back?

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger