Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turned away by Tesla store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I wanted a light colored car preferably white. Red seemed to be the lightest out of my 3 choices.

From owning a several red and several white vehicles, they have the advantages and disadvantages.
Both stay cool in the summer. That wasn't a problem.
White is actually harder to color match if you want to customize or do paint repair.
Both are visible at night and contrast well with racing numbers.
Red attracts attention, which is something I don't desire, but when the car available is red, then red it is.

Something else I've found. Colors I don't care for eventually 'grow' on me. Like a terrible song. If they play it enough, you'll sing along.
Life is to short not to sing along.

@Pentium2004, I think you'll be shocked at how much they will give you in trade-in on another car. They sell them for the amount people will pay. They buy them back for what they are worth.

Sorry that you can't deal with different people than the ones that you feel mistreated you. I'm sure emotions got a little hot during the issues you had, with employees trying to protect their jobs, and supervisors trying to protect their employees. It is unlikely you will get a trade-in price any different if you are dealing with people you have had problems with or people who don't know you at all. I tried to trade my car in to the sales manager I had bought my car through, who had become almost like a daughter to us. The price we were quoted was just insulting. It's just a calculation -- they have no control. If, truly, all you want is the numbers, then it really does not matter who you deal with. I think it's unlikely it will be a worse trade-in value because there is a history.

Agreed but I should be to trade it in where I want without hassle.
That, I agree with. How did you approach the new store?

Did you go "I'd like a new Tesla with X, Y and Z, and I'd like to trade in my current Tesla"? Or did you detail the entire story?

If you did the latter, I can see them saying to contact the previous store. If you did the former, I actually find it very odd that they wouldn't start the process of getting you an estimate.

What would have been the better option after they took the car back? Pick Blue, Black or have no vehicle and fight for money back?
Yes. If the first car didn't meet the options specified on your paperwork (which you have avoided defining, as best I can tell) and they didn't have a vehicle that met what you ordered, then you refuse delivery.

I can see that this is the car of your dreams & I understand wanting it 'exactly right'. And I'm sorry that your experience hasn't been more positive.

Reactions: Pentium2004
I agree to always study the window sticker but I've never seen or been given the window sticker for either of the cars. One came from Miami and the other from Pittsburgh. I've bought about 30 cars and haven't ever had this issue (cars are my weakness and I like a new one about ever 1 to 1 1/2 years for myself and my wife). I don't think window stickers really matter with Tesla because even if the window sticker says something it doesn't guarantee the car will have it. Take the headlights on my red Tesla it says adaptive headlights but the car is missing them. SC says that they have the correct ones in stock but can't put them in yet because the software engineers haven't validated the firmware yet.

Sorry to hear about your buyer's remorse....good news I suppose is that you haven't commented on functional issues and thus I'm assuming the car is working great. Also, think of it this way.....since you like a new one every year or so your buyer's remorse will only last less than a year.

From owning a several red and several white vehicles, they have the advantages and disadvantages.
Both stay cool in the summer. That wasn't a problem.
White is actually harder to color match if you want to customize or do paint repair.
Both are visible at night and contrast well with racing numbers.
Red attracts attention, which is something I don't desire, but when the car available is red, then red it is.

Something else I've found. Colors I don't care for eventually 'grow' on me. Like a terrible song. If they play it enough, you'll sing along.
Life is to short not to sing along.

The reason I've found I like white is it doesn't really show swirls, scratch or dirt too well. I am OCD when it comes to my cars and every little scratch drives me crazy. I'm much less crazy with white lol.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
@Pentium2004, I think you'll be shocked at how much they will give you in trade-in on another car. They sell them for the amount people will pay. They buy them back for what they are worth.

Sorry that you can't deal with different people than the ones that you feel mistreated you. I'm sure emotions got a little hot during the issues you had, with employees trying to protect their jobs, and supervisors trying to protect their employees. It is unlikely you will get a trade-in price any different if you are dealing with people you have had problems with or people who don't know you at all. I tried to trade my car in to the sales manager I had bought my car through, who had become almost like a daughter to us. The price we were quoted was just insulting. It's just a calculation -- they have no control. If, truly, all you want is the numbers, then it really does not matter who you deal with. I think it's unlikely it will be a worse trade-in value because there is a history.

The issue is that while I was trying to get something done about the original car the sales manager made the comment that I should have done my homework better before buying a Tesla which set me off. If I need to do the homework before I step into sales then there really isn't any reason to have a sales center.

That, I agree with. How did you approach the new store?

Did you go "I'd like a new Tesla with X, Y and Z, and I'd like to trade in my current Tesla"? Or did you detail the entire story?

If you did the latter, I can see them saying to contact the previous store. If you did the former, I actually find it very odd that they wouldn't start the process of getting you an estimate.

I told them I just didn't get along with them and would prefer to go to Orlando since I live right in between Tampa and Orlando. I'm sure the notes in my account aren't the best.

I am OCD when it comes to my cars

The issue is that while I was trying to get something done about the original car the sales manager made the comment that I should have done my homework better before buying a Tesla which set me off. If I need to do the homework before I step into sales then there really isn't any reason to have a sales center.

What exactly did you not get on the first car from Tesla?

Sorry to hear about your buyer's remorse....good news I suppose is that you haven't commented on functional issues and thus I'm assuming the car is working great. Also, think of it this way.....since you like a new one every year or so your buyer's remorse will only last less than a year.

People with buyers remorse don't drop an additional $9k after the first deal. They treated me the whole time like I had buyers remorse which really upset me because I never once asked to cancel the deal. Just wanted the car I asked for.

People with buyers remorse don't drop an additional $9k after the first deal. They treated me the whole time like I had buyers remorse which really upset me because I never once asked to cancel the deal. Just wanted the car I asked for.

I'm getting up there in age but one of key items I learned over the years is that every story has three parts: your story, their story, the truth.

Think of the red color as exhibiting your youthfulness and since you are 2-3 months in & your typical profile is 12 months of ownership you only have about 9 months to "rue" this purchase.

Life is precious...enjoy it ( I'm philosophical this morning since the other night I was fortunate that a neighbor quickly performed the Heimlich maneuver on me after choking on some cake; otherwise, no more posting for me:) ).

I'm getting up there in age but one of key items I learned over the years is that every story has three parts: your story, their story, the truth.

Think of the red color as exhibiting your youthfulness and since you are 2-3 months in & your typical profile is 12 months of ownership you only have about 9 months to "rue" this purchase.

Life is precious...enjoy it ( I'm philosophical this morning since the other night I was fortunate that a neighbor quickly performed the Heimlich maneuver on me after choking on some cake; otherwise, no more posting for me:) ).

Now that's staying positive. Thanks for the advice and glad you didn't die.

Leather, ambient lighting, air suspension, fog lights and adaptive headlights.
Looks like you were caught up in the period around mid 2017 when Tesla made most of those features standard. Many OA were not aware of that and didn't realize that earlier cars did not have them standard. That was probably the first car they sold you, thinking it was current and had the same features as the current model on their website.

Not being able to upgrade to Adaptive Headlights due to software not being validated seems incorrect. Cars made from about Sep-Dec 2017 (including mine) were incorrectly configured without the standard headlights but many folks, including myself, have been successfully retro-fitted to working Adaptive Headlights...

The reason I've found I like white is it doesn't really show swirls, scratch or dirt too well. I am OCD when it comes to my cars and every little scratch drives me crazy. I'm much less crazy with white lol.

This is a stupid story, so take it for what it's worth.
We bought a 'supercar' when it was released, and were one of the first owners.
We immediately had it detailed with high quality wax.
A few days after purchase, my wife took it to Staples to get some supplies. She parked in a normal stall, 1/2 way down the parking lot.
She came out 20 minutes later, and somebody keyed the passenger door with something really sharp and cut the body down to the fiberglass. Big white scar 2' feet long, very visible at a distance.
Obviously we both got into a homicidal rage at first.

Then a funny thing happened. We enjoyed the car more. We stopped worrying about the appearance and focused on the driving experience. We raced the car in several states, drifted it constantly, nailed cones AutoX'g hard enough to knock trim pieces off, drove it in heavy rains, would carry drinks and food in it, would trailer it in open trailers. We still have that car 16 years later, and I still take it out and drive it like I stole it when I feel the need for speed. It is one of the most enjoyable cars we've owned and collected a lot of fond memories, good times with friends, and trophies.

Later, we bought an even faster and much prettier supercar. It was a joy to drive on closed courses, but we didn't like driving it daily. It collected more dust than trophies. We sold it after a couple of years. Wicked fast, handled like a slot car, but getting 'cone hickeys', tire rubber, brake dust, bird droppings, road tar, trees sap, scrapes from steep driveways, detracted from the experience. It was a very pretty car, but was more fun to look at than drive to the beach for dinner. When we sold it, it looked brand new. But it still depreciated in value like fresh milk.

Car collecting though was never our thing. We never entered a car show, although some of our vehicles have been in magazine articles (one even made the mag cover), and won championships as well as set records.

Folk buy cars for many reasons. But if a car becomes a chore or reduces the quality of life, then perhaps it's just another mouth to feed.

Looks like you were caught up in the period around mid 2017 when Tesla made most of those features standard. Many OA were not aware of that and didn't realize that earlier cars did not have them standard. That was probably the first car they sold you, thinking it was current and had the same features as the current model on their website.

Not being able to upgrade to Adaptive Headlights due to software not being validated seems incorrect. Cars made from about Sep-Dec 2017 (including mine) were incorrectly configured without the standard headlights but many folks, including myself, have been successfully retro-fitted to working Adaptive Headlights...
I thought so too on the lights but when I call it’s always a different story.

This is a stupid story, so take it for what it's worth.
We bought a 'supercar' when it was released, and were one of the first owners.
We immediately had it detailed with high quality wax.
A few days after purchase, my wife took it to Staples to get some supplies. She parked in a normal stall, 1/2 way down the parking lot.
She came out 20 minutes later, and somebody keyed the passenger door with something really sharp and cut the body down to the fiberglass. Big white scar 2' feet long, very visible at a distance.
Obviously we both got into a homicidal rage at first.

Then a funny thing happened. We enjoyed the car more. We stopped worrying about the appearance and focused on the driving experience. We raced the car in several states, drifted it constantly, nailed cones AutoX'g hard enough to knock trim pieces off, drove it in heavy rains, would carry drinks and food in it, would trailer it in open trailers. We still have that car 16 years later, and I still take it out and drive it like I stole it when I feel the need for speed. It is one of the most enjoyable cars we've owned and collected a lot of fond memories, good times with friends, and trophies.

Later, we bought an even faster and much prettier supercar. It was a joy to drive on closed courses, but we didn't like driving it daily. It collected more dust than trophies. We sold it after a couple of years. Wicked fast, handled like a slot car, but getting 'cone hickeys', tire rubber, brake dust, bird droppings, road tar, trees sap, scrapes from steep driveways, detracted from the experience. It was a very pretty car, but was more fun to look at than drive to the beach for dinner. When we sold it, it looked brand new. But it still depreciated in value like fresh milk.

Car collecting though was never our thing. We never entered a car show, although some of our vehicles have been in magazine articles (one even made the mag cover), and won championships as well as set records.

Folk buy cars for many reasons. But if a car becomes a chore or reduces the quality of life, then perhaps it's just another mouth to feed.
Not a stupid story. Thanks for sharing and I understand where you are coming from. That’s kind of why I agreed to take the red one thinking I could just overlook it but I can’t. It also gets way too much attention and I don’t like people looking at me. It also shows every scratch and flaw very good.

I thought so too on the lights but when I call it’s always a different story.
Yes, there are two long threads about those lights in the Model S and Model X forums, and although Tesla has said they are working on a retro-fit program, there hasn't been an update and the SCs responses kinda vary from 'waiting for corporate direction' to 'needs software validation' to some SCs that have actually taken the initiative themselves to order the parts and perform the retro-fit.... It depends on who you get and how motivated they are to solve the problem...