Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turned down for charger by condo association

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Today I received an email from my condo association board, advising me of their position on proposals I had submitted to them for charging my Model S. In essence, they turned me down.

I asked for permission to install a 240 V outlet in a space in a common garage. The spaces are assigned to specific owners and indeed are deeded along with the condo itself. In this case, the space is not mine but another resident was letting me use it. (He and I had also had preliminary discussions about my possibly purchasing the space, but that discussion was on hold until I heard from the board.) The board email indicated that they could not support an approach that required changes to the common area (running conduit and cable along the wall or ceiling) and that might entail future expense or liability to the association. The same logic would apply to running a cable to my own present space in a surface parking lot, which would also entail excavation (and repair) of a driveway.

I had also offered to pay for initial installation of an outlet in a location that could eventually be for a shared charger, but the association did not want the precedent of having someone pay for private use of common property. (This option troubled them because I proposed tying into a "public" power circuit, not my own, so that it could be eventually be shared.)

The email does say that the Board will continue to examine the possibility of a shared chargi8ng facility, and would bring a proposal to the owners for approval. No timeline was indicated. But that may (or may not) eventually result in installing a charger where I could use it.

(I have simplified this discussion just a bit to avoid bogging down in extraneous details.)

So...I have no place to charge at home, and no certainty of a near-term solution.
As far as I know, Massachusetts has no legal requirements that would require condo associations to make reasonable accommodations for EVs (as some other jurisdictions seem to).

Even if moving were a reasonable option, it is certainly not an attractive option nor is it a near-term solution.

I suppose that this is my own doing. I "should" have nailed this down before getting my car.

There is one other option available that I know of. Another neighbor has an empty individual garage he would rent to me, and it has a 110 Volt outlet in it. I could rent that and at least would get some small charging benefit. But I had decided that charging at something like 10 amps on a shared 110 V circuit would not be worth the rental cost.

So for whatever it is worth, here is what may prove to be a cautionary tale for condo residents that are considering whether or not get a Tesla or any other EV...

Fortunately for me, there are two public charging sites within a couple miles of my home, which I have been using so far. And I am retired, with no daily "essential" driving. So it will work out, somehow....

There is one other option available that I know of. Another neighbor has an empty individual garage he would rent to me, and it has a 110 Volt outlet in it. I could rent that and at least would get some small charging benefit. But I had decided that charging at something like 10 amps on a shared 110 V circuit would not be worth the rental cost.
It might be worth seeing if the 110 outlet can be upgraded to 220, since it's in a private garage and not the public space that might get approved easier.

This may seem tongue and cheek, but it has been done in the past successfully. It is indeed tongue and cheek, with 1/2 serious if you get creative.

Buy a donkey. They are pretty docile animals, easy to fees and care for, and I don't know of a single hoa or condo association that has thought to exclude donkeys.

When neighbors report the apparent violation and you get ordered to get rid of the donkey, ask them to show you the wording in the association document. It's not there.

But kindly offer to get rid of the donkey in exchange for a positive ruling on your charger request.

Obviously...donkey isn't the best idea. But get creative. There's something out there that you can leverage. There always is. It's one of the only ways that I have seen that truly manages HOA stubborn power seeking control freaks with too much time on their hands.

I've seen descriptions of condo associations that have permitted charging/installation of chargers, mentioned elsewhere on these forums. You might scour the TMC site to find them and then try to connect with the people who posted them and find out what convinced their respective HOAs to agree to a charger. I can't recall where I saw the messages (Florida? If so, you might try contacting Larry Chanin.)

I had a similar situation in my condo, worst part is there was a 110/20 amp circuit behind my space which I was forbidden (fined $250 for using it) to use but everyone else in the condo was allowed to use the outlets with battery tenderizers. Luckily for me there was a whole foods a few blocks away and I would charge the car at night there. Since I was renting I left shortly afterwards. Good luck

I asked for permission to install a 240 V outlet in a space in a common garage. The spaces are assigned to specific owners and indeed are deeded along with the condo itself. In this case, the space is not mine but another resident was letting me use it. (He and I had also had preliminary discussions about my possibly purchasing the space, but that discussion was on hold until I heard from the board.) The board email indicated that they could not support an approach that required changes to the common area (running conduit and cable along the wall or ceiling) and that might entail future expense or liability to the association. The same logic would apply to running a cable to my own present space in a surface parking lot, which would also entail excavation (and repair) of a driveway.

Sounds like the usual kind of bull**** you get form these condo association types, they like exercising their power because they can.

See if they will put a nema 14-50 outlet in a neutral location in the garage, not dedicated to your space, and run a 50A extension cord. You'll want a GFCI breaker because of the extension cord.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, there are incentives for installing EV charging stations in MA, I would try to present those.

Write to your state rep, presenting the problem and then citing the California law that requires HOAs to allow reasonable charging solutions. Getting this problem fixed in law is the ultimate solution.

As a work-around, the combination of the nearby Supercharger + the 120v outlet could be entirely workable, depending on your driving patterns. Personally, I'd want the 120v outlet come winter time so that I could preheat the car and condition the battery from shore power.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, serious as well as tongue-in-cheek.
Some reactions...

It might be worth seeing if the 110 outlet can be upgraded to 220, since it's in a private garage and not the public space that might get approved easier.
I asked my electrician about that. because of the site arrangement, running 220 V to that garage space would cost several thousand dollars and would entail excavation to run conduit through a building wall and under a sidewalk, plus permission from several other garage owners. So that is unlikely to be feasible.

See if they will put a nema 14-50 outlet in a neutral location in the garage, not dedicated to your space, and run a 50A extension cord. You'll want a GFCI breaker because of the extension cord.

Unfortunately, there are no neutral locations. All the garage spaces are assigned and deeded.

BTW, there are incentives for installing EV charging stations in MA, I would try to present those.
I checked on those incentives, and they currently only apply to employers, not to condos.

Since you live in Dedham, you have the SC right there, which shouldn't be an issue for you to use.
So far, I have been doing that a lot, and it has not been an issue. But someday I may get one of those nasty letters that owners were getting last summer when they were found to be using local chargers too much. In all the times I have charged at Dedham so far, there has almost always been at least one other empty stall. But once I was very briefly the 8th car there. That made me a bit uncomfortable, because if another car came in I might be in the way for a long-distance traveler. (Then again, a lot of the charging there is for new cars being delivered or store demonstrators so they may also be less critical users than a long-distance driver...)

Write to your state rep, presenting the problem and then citing the California law that requires HOAs to allow reasonable charging solutions. Getting this problem fixed in law is the ultimate solution.

As a work-around, the combination of the nearby Supercharger + the 120v outlet could be entirely workable, depending on your driving patterns. Personally, I'd want the 120v outlet come winter time so that I could preheat the car and condition the battery from shore power.

By coincidence, our State rep is a resident and is one of the condo board members! He is actually one of the people who does support EVs and wanted to support my proposals. But the majority opposed, I guess, and carried the day. But I will mention the CA law to him in case he is not aware of that.

If the 120v receptacle is the sole outlet on that branch circuit it is VERY easy (maybe 20 bucks) to convert it to a NEMA 6-15 240v device and Tesla recently added a UMC 6-15 adapter for $45 which will provide approx. 9mph charge rate. Even a "standard" 5-15 outlet will provide 75 miles/day and a 5-20 outlet will provide 125 miles/day.

WRT to your local supercharger, it's PERFECTLY fine for your unlimited use especially since you have NO home charging capability. The "rub" about local (left coast) supercharging is about a bunch of free-loaders that are too cheap to charge at home and have no consideration for traveling Ses.

btw, the staff at the Dedham store should be mindful of traveling Ses and LEGITIMATE locals that have no in home charging capability. I would guess the staff has several HPWCs at their disposal that can free up the superchargers for others.

Last edited: