Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turned off auto-lock at home, but car doesnt lock in another place as well

Huskyfan

Nov 25, 2019
Seattle
Guess I should have titled it “locking at home issues”. Sorry for any confusion.

I keep my car in the garage so have enabled that the doors, etc don’t auto lock when my car is parked at home.

The local grocery store is almost exactly 1/4 mile from my home, straight line distance. When i go to the store I’ve found that my car does not lock there either. Everywhere else, except my home and this nearby store, it locks as it should.

anyone else experience such an issue? I’ve confirmed the address that car sees as home. Right where it should be.

I’m assuming it works off of GPS location.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

(moderator note: edited thread title based on what it seems you wanted to convey. If you want another title please report the thread with the title you want and I will change it)

Huskyfan

Nov 25, 2019
Seattle
I’m certain. Only home is enabled for no locking while parked. And no, the store is not a “favorite”, although I probably go there daily.

Voltron_M3

Sep 6, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Guess I should have titled it “locking at home issues”. Sorry for any confusion.

I keep my car in the garage so have enabled that the doors, etc don’t auto lock when my car is parked at home.

The local grocery store is almost exactly 1/4 mile from my home, straight line distance. When i go to the store I’ve found that my car does not lock there either. Everywhere else, except my home and this nearby store, it locks as it should.

anyone else experience such an issue? I’ve confirmed the address that car sees as home. Right where it should be.

I’m assuming it works off of GPS location.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

(moderator note: edited thread title based on what it seems you wanted to convey. If you want another title please report the thread with the title you want and I will change it)

I have the same issue. My son's school and mother in laws house are about a 1/4 mile away in opposite directions. Car will stay unlocked when parked at either location.

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
I have the same issue. My son's school and mother in laws house are about a 1/4 mile away in opposite directions. Car will stay unlocked when parked at either location.

Yeah back when everyone was asking for this feature I noted that the danger was it would not lock when it should, which turns a convenience feature into s security/theft risk. The trouble, of course, is that its hard to spot when it doesnt auto-lock since the walk-away lock/unlock is so seamless.

Reactions: jjrandorin

Chewy3

If MacGvyer had a beard
Apr 30, 2016
San Diego
They say Home is Where The Heart is.....and people constantly talking about weird knocking sounds from their cars has me thinking about Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
This does seem common (we have seen it with our car). In another thread, someone claimed that it stays unlocked within about a kilometer of home.

I agree that's not a great feature, and curious because they can target location much more accurately for opening garage doors, raising suspension, and the like.

upkerry14

Dec 29, 2019
oakland ca
I had a similar problem. I deleted and reinstalled the app on the phone which entailed tethering the phone again of course For some reason it worked. Go figure.

one2many

Aug 16, 2019
germany
Home can be a big place, parking on the street, folks in apartments, and those
few folks that live in VT (where the driveways would be a runway in Texas).
I am sure its not an easy problem for everyone.

Mattopotamus

Jun 7, 2020
Atlanta
I guess I haven't paid close attention, and now I feel like I should just leave it locked when in my garage. Like others, I do shopping in a very close proximity.

SK360

Aug 20, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
Same problem here. Circled is my neighborhood and the grocery store plaza, Sentry and Autolock doesn't turn on there when I have them set to not turn on at home. :|

upload_2021-3-1_13-59-42.png

quantumslip

Mar 3, 2015
Earth
The radius for auto-lock should be adjustable like how the auto-garage distance opening is. I certainly think the radius could be tightened up by default as well. Only those with really large houses or properties may need to adjust it to be a bigger radius (subject to a max cap).

1/4 mile / 400 meters is a huge radius, even taking into account GPS errors and such.

Huskyfan

Nov 25, 2019
Seattle
The problem for me is every time someone walks into the garage than sentry mode records it. We’re talking 20 times a day.

I wonder if it’s tied to any other apps that use data from the Tesla account, such as stats. Stats has settings that deal with lock, unlock etc.
6A3F1432-7C13-4709-8EC0-ADBD7C591C5F.jpeg

Huskyfan

Nov 25, 2019
Seattle
Not stats. I did disable sentry mode at home but enabled auto lock. Seems that is working to ensure things sort of properly. Car locked at the local store, and enabled sentry mode too

Goat4u

Mar 2, 2021
Markham Ontario
I had the same issue today. My local store is about 500m away from my house, straight line. I walked away from the car and the doors didn't lock. I turned off "exclude home" at the parking lot and walked away and the doors locked. Looks like the buffer distance is huge. Similar to Smart summon. the GPS is bit off so Tesla has to make a huge buffer to compensate.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC