Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turned off auto-lock at home, but car doesnt lock in another place as well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess I should have titled it “locking at home issues”. Sorry for any confusion.

I keep my car in the garage so have enabled that the doors, etc don’t auto lock when my car is parked at home.

The local grocery store is almost exactly 1/4 mile from my home, straight line distance. When i go to the store I’ve found that my car does not lock there either. Everywhere else, except my home and this nearby store, it locks as it should.

anyone else experience such an issue? I’ve confirmed the address that car sees as home. Right where it should be.

I’m assuming it works off of GPS location.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

(moderator note: edited thread title based on what it seems you wanted to convey. If you want another title please report the thread with the title you want and I will change it)

Guess I should have titled it “locking at home issues”. Sorry for any confusion.

I keep my car in the garage so have enabled that the doors, etc don’t auto lock when my car is parked at home.

The local grocery store is almost exactly 1/4 mile from my home, straight line distance. When i go to the store I’ve found that my car does not lock there either. Everywhere else, except my home and this nearby store, it locks as it should.

anyone else experience such an issue? I’ve confirmed the address that car sees as home. Right where it should be.

I’m assuming it works off of GPS location.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

(moderator note: edited thread title based on what it seems you wanted to convey. If you want another title please report the thread with the title you want and I will change it)

I have the same issue. My son's school and mother in laws house are about a 1/4 mile away in opposite directions. Car will stay unlocked when parked at either location.

I have the same issue. My son's school and mother in laws house are about a 1/4 mile away in opposite directions. Car will stay unlocked when parked at either location.

Yeah back when everyone was asking for this feature I noted that the danger was it would not lock when it should, which turns a convenience feature into s security/theft risk. The trouble, of course, is that its hard to spot when it doesnt auto-lock since the walk-away lock/unlock is so seamless.

Reactions: jjrandorin
This does seem common (we have seen it with our car). In another thread, someone claimed that it stays unlocked within about a kilometer of home.

I agree that's not a great feature, and curious because they can target location much more accurately for opening garage doors, raising suspension, and the like.

Same problem here. Circled is my neighborhood and the grocery store plaza, Sentry and Autolock doesn't turn on there when I have them set to not turn on at home. :|

upload_2021-3-1_13-59-42.png

The radius for auto-lock should be adjustable like how the auto-garage distance opening is. I certainly think the radius could be tightened up by default as well. Only those with really large houses or properties may need to adjust it to be a bigger radius (subject to a max cap).

1/4 mile / 400 meters is a huge radius, even taking into account GPS errors and such.

The problem for me is every time someone walks into the garage than sentry mode records it. We’re talking 20 times a day.

I wonder if it’s tied to any other apps that use data from the Tesla account, such as stats. Stats has settings that deal with lock, unlock etc.
6A3F1432-7C13-4709-8EC0-ADBD7C591C5F.jpeg

I had the same issue today. My local store is about 500m away from my house, straight line. I walked away from the car and the doors didn't lock. I turned off "exclude home" at the parking lot and walked away and the doors locked. Looks like the buffer distance is huge. Similar to Smart summon. the GPS is bit off so Tesla has to make a huge buffer to compensate.

I have this same issue happening when I go to church on Sundays which is 1/4 mile from my house. I logged a service request with Tesla and was told the standard buffer zone is 1650ft or 500 meters so that explains why it is happening. I guess I'll have to remember to lock my car manually when at church since I like having autolock off at home.

I have this same issue happening when I go to church on Sundays which is 1/4 mile from my house. I logged a service request with Tesla and was told the standard buffer zone is 1650ft or 500 meters so that explains why it is happening. I guess I'll have to remember to lock my car manually when at church since I like having autolock off at home.
or you could move house or change your religion? :)

Reactions: SK360