Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning AP off while maintaining TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I am trying to figure out the best way to keep TACC when I need to disable AP. The reason for this is when a lane opens up into two (to allow passing), AP keeps to the left lane (which I don’t want it to do since I want to allow other cars to pass). I know there are 3 ways to disable AP, but I don’t want the car to slow down abruptly (when TACC is disabled along with AP). I tried wrestle control from AP by taking over the steering which resulted in a huge sudden jerk (which scared the devil out of my wife, and probably the car behind).
i ended up with pressing the stalk up to disable AP, (but this is a pain since the stretch of highway opens passing lane very often) and reenable it.
Tomorrow I will try tapping the brake slightly to see if it would maintain TACC (we are on a long roadtrip). Thanks for any advice!

Hi all,
I am trying to figure out the best way to keep TACC when I need to disable AP. The reason for this is when a lane opens up into two (to allow passing), AP keeps to the left lane (which I don’t want it to do since I want to allow other cars to pass). I know there are 3 ways to disable AP, but I don’t want the car to slow down abruptly (when TACC is disabled along with AP). I tried wrestle control from AP by taking over the steering which resulted in a huge sudden jerk (which scared the devil out of my wife, and probably the car behind).
i ended up with pressing the stalk up to disable AP, (but this is a pain since the stretch of highway opens passing lane very often) and reenable it.
Tomorrow I will try tapping the brake slightly to see if it would maintain TACC (we are on a long roadtrip). Thanks for any advice!

I suggest using your lane change feature instead. You will need to allow the car to finish its merge to the left, then let it bring itself back with the use of your right signal lever. Works for me.

Lane change is a FSD feature only. It’s not in the standard AP.
I thought Automatic lane change, where the car decides to change lanes on its own, was an FSD feature. Basic AP lane change by putting on the turn signal should be a regular Autopilot feature as it’s been present since Auto-steer was released. Or, has this changed in newer cars? Newest Tesla I‘ve driven on the highway is a 2017 S 75D with FSD.

As for OP, I usually either quickly cancel Autopilot then immediately turn cruise back on, or just hold the wheel towards the right, and the car cancels as it tries to go left. Most of the time I’m driving a Tesla though, It’s without Autopilot as it still wants to go off every off-ramp on the highway.