Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

turning climate off before charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - just got my MYLR AWD & loving it :) Still getting used to walking away from the car without turning it off, though.

When I keep my car in the garage and plugged in, am I supposed to do anything with the climate control inside the car? Turn it off, leave it as-is?

It's freezing temps here so I have scheduled preconditioning and charging to be done by 7:30 on weekdays.

As you remember to take your phone with you the Tesla Model Y will turn off the climate control, screen after you exit the vehicle. Don't be surprised if the Tesla vehicle continues to run for some time after exiting.

Leave the climate control settings the way you want these to be for the A.M. scheduled preconditioning, including the seat heaters and steering wheel heater. You will have to experiment with the seat heater(s) to find the most comfortable setting for when you first get in, sit in the vehicle but the middle heated seat setting would be a good start. In most situations setting the climate control to Auto and your preferred temperature is all you need to do. The climate control can be set for either dual zone or synchronized where the driver temperature setting also sets the front seat passenger vent temperature.

Set your home and work location in the navigation settings. Then set Sentry mode to be off at your home location and if you wish off at your work location. Sentry Mode forces the Tesla vehicle to remain awake where it will use more power than if the Tesla vehicle enters a sleep mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volleyballmom
As you remember to take your phone with you the Tesla Model Y will turn off the climate control, screen after you exit the vehicle. Don't be surprised if the Tesla vehicle continues to run for some time after exiting.

Leave the climate control settings the way you want these to be for the A.M. scheduled preconditioning, including the seat heaters and steering wheel heater. You will have to experiment with the seat heater(s) to find the most comfortable setting for when you first get in, sit in the vehicle but the middle heated seat setting would be a good start.
thanks!