Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning clunk from left front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,
I just recently have driven out of warranty on the MS. I was wondering if someone can actually tell me what the issue with the low speed almost fully turned ort fully turned clunk that the MS get. I have had the issue "Fixed" twice while under warranty. The last time the mobile tech replaced steering bolts with newer ones. If a car I've own isn't under warranty I have always done all my own mechanic work. However I can't get much info other than people had the service center fix it. My service center is 3 hours away and I'd rather fix it myself if this is going to keep happening every 1.5 years, plus I'm cheap.

So any info what the actual issue is or what bolts all the post are referring to in the steering I'd appreciate it.

Here are the references that make the most sense to what I'm experiencing.

Clicking/popping sound when turning
Clunk-clunk-clunk from the front

Thanks
Tom

I had a similar issue. It turned out to be the upper control arm. I replaced both sides and the sway bar links while I had it apart. I bought the parts for Tesla SC.
Thanks for the info. I checked the steering rack bolts and they're definitely not loose. I believe they were replaced a few years ago. I have a set of new UCAs I'm going to put in this weekend, hopefully that helps. It has 115k miles on it and I've read elsewhere they don't last much longer.

Well that was interesting..... 2 of my front hv battery mounting bolts just hanging loose underneath, apparently the ones securing the front subframe to the hv pack. Since this is kind of outside the scope of this thread I started a new one here: HV Battery to subframe bolts hanging loose
For those following this thread and not the one I linked, tightening these 2 bolts completely eliminated the clunk/rattle I had, as well as made the car feel much tighter driving. Add it to the list of loose bolts leading to noises...