TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Turning noise when car is not moving

Discussion in 'Model X' started by deerfield, Sep 1, 2016.

1. deerfield

deerfield Member

Anyone have the clunking/rubbing noise when turning the wheels all the way left/right while the car is not moving? I get this very loud noise during 3 point turn maneuvers. I attributed it to the brake pads shifting position. But i dont get this in my other cars.

2. Stasla

Stasla Member

I have it on mine, don't even have to turn the wheels all the way. Sounds sort of like front breaks grinding. Was also wondering if this is normal.

3. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I get a squeaky/cranky/grind kinda thing in my S when turning sharply/parking. The techie drove with me to listen and said it was normal.
    I also had a loaner that did the same thing. It reminds me of old bones. My music usually is louder.

4. Dynamo123

Dynamo123 Member

I had this with my Model S a few years ago and it was fixed by the SC. Was something in the steering column.

5. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

It's just not the tires skipping because you are turning faster than they are rotating? I see a lot of this because the tires are so wide. This time of the year we have a lot of oak leaves on the driveway and its like ice skating with the Tesla.

6. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

There was a steering rack bulletin (something about a washer?) for Model S for this issue that I had fixed on my previous 85D. Same exact symptoms. Just take it into the SC and you can specifically mention the bulletin if you want. Good luck!