Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning off BT (iPhone) auto-play when the car turns on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found a way to disable the automatic "play" command the car sends when it turns on and connects to the phone? I can confirm it's not the phone trying to be smart -- the phone clearly gets a play command from the car -- and it drives me nuts to have whatever I was listening to last (often an audiobook or podcast) start as soon as the car wakes up as I get in.

It does need to be fixed. My current work-around is to pause BT, then switch the source to radio right before exiting, then rolling the volume wheel to zero. That seems to prevent the Bluetooth from auto playing next time I get in the car.

Reactions: Ambidexter
Interestingly, there were previous request for Tesla to continue what ever audio was playing when the car was last turned off. They accommodated the request so drivers wouldn't have to "re-select" their audio source each time when restarting the vehicle.... i.e.: Radio, Streaming, USB, Bluetooth, etc. If I recall, this was an 8.0 enhancement for drivers to continue their source. The vehicle only knows you were last listening to Bluetooth audio, and continues with that prior selection. It doesn't know whether it was a pod cast or music from the paired device.

Thanks for that background @Aljohn. I can understand why some folks would have asked for that. It makes a lot of sense to me to resume the radio or streaming services upon car start, as clearly that's audio you listen to in the car. It also matches the behavior we're used to with previous cars. It's also understandable that they didn't quite get this right with the Bluetooth source, as the behaviors and use cases around having one device for many different contexts are much more complex.

I'm hoping to see more nuance in a future update. Either a setting that we can customize or to connect without triggering play to BT routes only. Then it's a simple single tap on the touch screen to resume your playback.

I would also like to have an actual Off button for the Music app. It's annoying that the only way to not listen to anything in the car is either pausing the stream or if on radio then turn the volume to 0.

+1000. The last several cars I have owned have had this "feature" of never being able to turn OFF the radio/audio source. I guess it's some sort of trend now that car companies think everyone wants a soundtrack while they drive. So I have gotten used to having an always-on radio with the Volume at 0.

Interestingly, there were previous request for Tesla to continue what ever audio was playing when the car was last turned off. They accommodated the request so drivers wouldn't have to "re-select" their audio source each time when restarting the vehicle....

Yes and I am happy they fixed that, but what is bothersome is the autoplay part. For instance, when I pull into the garage, I will hit pause on the music app before I get out of the car. However, the act of opening the rear door to get my jacket out of the backseat will cause the audio to kick back in and keep playing for a few seconds until the car decides its empty again. For music, this is not so bad, but listening to podcasts or audiobooks is a pain.

I just received 2.52.22 and it now seems that audio is much better behaved. I need more evidence to confirm for sure, but the audio system remembered what was being played on my USB even after a screen reset and re-load of the USB stick. Previously, my iPhone would take over every time I got in the car.

I just received 2.52.22 and it now seems that audio is much better behaved. I need more evidence to confirm for sure, but the audio system remembered what was being played on my USB even after a screen reset and re-load of the USB stick. Previously, my iPhone would take over every time I got in the car.
Thanks @trmmcd I have a notification for SW update. I haven't installed as of yet. Do you still have MODELXMAS? Just want to confirm it didn't get removed. Thanks.

Thanks @trmmcd I have a notification for SW update. I haven't installed as of yet. Do you still have MODELXMAS? Just want to confirm it didn't get removed. Thanks.

So good news and bad news. First the good news MODELXMAS is still there. Now the bad news - the problem with the phone taking over is still there. I was sure it was fixed when it worked several times in a row including after a screen restart. I guess we have to wait for the next release.

So good news and bad news. First the good news MODELXMAS is still there. Now the bad news - the problem with the phone taking over is still there. I was sure it was fixed when it worked several times in a row including after a screen restart. I guess we have to wait for the next release.
It has always been quite random to resume the last audio source. For example I can have 5 consecutive USB music resume but then next two defaulted back to phone Bluetooth, for leaving 10 minutes (not overnight). However it has been getting better comparing to initial v8.0.

I have 2.52.22 and no matter what audio source I was using when I turned the car off, when I turn it back on it switches to BT IPhone and turns on. Very annoying. It should either be off at startup, or resume with the last selected audio source.
@MX1028 +1000 - Absolutely need a damn off button. Never heard of an audio system with no off button - really annoying.

I have 2.52.22 and no matter what audio source I was using when I turned the car off, when I turn it back on it switches to BT IPhone and turns on. Very annoying. It should either be off at startup, or resume with the last selected audio source.
@MX1028 +1000 - Absolutely need a damn off button. Never heard of an audio system with no off button - really annoying.

There seems to be something else going on. I have BT Audio (songs) on my phone, and the X does NOT turn on BT, unless I had on BT on the last trip. If I have on Radio, it returns to Radio. If Streaming, it returns to streaming. I must mention I have an Android phone, not I-Phone.

infuriating doesn't even begin to describe it. I am so pissed off about this issue, that, after 4 years of otherwise being extremely satisfied with my MS, I would seriously consider not buying another Tesla, purely due to this issue. We listen to audiobooks a lot. And when I stop playing an audiobook just before getting out of the car, I do not want it to start playing again the minute I open any door, while I'm loading or unloading the car. And what's even more infuriating about this, is that sometimes you don't notice that the audiobook started up again, because the volume was reduced for some other inexplicable reason, and it merrily plays away without your knowledge, and the next time you go to listen to the book, you have no idea what the hell's going on because it's 30 minutes past where you left off!!!

Does Tesla pay any attention to these forums? If you do: TESLA -- PLEASE FIX THIS!!! IT'S A BUG!!!

infuriating doesn't even begin to describe it. I am so pissed off about this issue, that, after 4 years of otherwise being extremely satisfied with my MS, I would seriously consider not buying another Tesla, purely due to this issue. We listen to audiobooks a lot. And when I stop playing an audiobook just before getting out of the car, I do not want it to start playing again the minute I open any door, while I'm loading or unloading the car. And what's even more infuriating about this, is that sometimes you don't notice that the audiobook started up again, because the volume was reduced for some other inexplicable reason, and it merrily plays away without your knowledge, and the next time you go to listen to the book, you have no idea what the hell's going on because it's 30 minutes past where you left off!!!

Does Tesla pay any attention to these forums? If you do: TESLA -- PLEASE FIX THIS!!! IT'S A BUG!!!
When you open the doors, the audio volume is automatically lowered, so you of course may not hear it when you re-open the doors. I find that pausing the audio (with the left scroll-wheel) when I get to my destination usually (but not always) stops the track and prevents it from starting again. It would be nice if this was consistent.

A better algorithm might be to stop the audio when the door is opened (rather than lower the volume) and only restart once the door is closed and the driver's seat sensor detects an occupant.

When you open the doors, the audio volume is automatically lowered, so you of course may not hear it when you re-open the doors. I find that pausing the audio (with the left scroll-wheel) when I get to my destination usually (but not always) stops the track and prevents it from starting again. It would be nice if this was consistent.

A better algorithm might be to stop the audio when the door is opened (rather than lower the volume) and only restart once the door is closed and the driver's seat sensor detects an occupant.

Just had a bizarre happening. I was checking to see if I'd been updated, wearing my pajamas, with my Iphone in my bedroom behind two doors. When I opened the door, the audiobook I had been playing came on--that's amazing bluetooth reach!

Nope, absolutely not. I have tried stopping the audio from the left scroll wheel, as well as stopping it on the phone, and even tried force-quitting the audible app on the phone; no dice. The only thing that prevents the audiobook from starting up again is changing the audio selection in the car to the radio, which is a pretty obnoxious solution

• Disagree
Reactions: Trekker_