Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning off Climate cancels Camp Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought you could use Camp Mode to keep the 12 volt accessory outlets live and turn off climate to save power on my 2020 Model Y. However, when I turn off climate it turns off Camp Mode.

What I am trying to do is use the accessory outlet to charge Lipo batteries while flying RC airplanes. I am not in the car so I don't need climate and I don't need sentry mode.

Any ideas? The hatch is kept open during that activity. Will just keeping the hatch open keep the outlet live (without camp mode) and not deplete the accessory battery (assuming a constant 100 watt drain from the outlet) ?

Last edited:
I thought you could use Camp Mode to keep the 12 volt accessory outlets live and turn off climate to save power on my 2020 Model Y. However, when I turn off climate it turns off Camp Mode.

What I am trying to do is use the accessory outlet to charge Lipo batteries while flying RC airplanes. I am not in the car so I don't need climate and I don't need sentry mode.

Any ideas? The hatch is kept open during that activity. Will just keeping the hatch open keep the outlet live (without camp mode) and not deplete the accessory battery (assuming a constant 100 watt drain from the outlet) ?
Perhaps Tesla wants to ensure adequate ventilation in case two or more people are sleeping in the Model Y when parked, set to Camp mode. You can set the Climate Control to manual. Turn off the AC and set the fan speed to low. With the hatch and windows closed the cabin humidity would build to an uncomfortable level. With the Climate Control set to Auto the humidity will be maintained at a comfortable level and prevent the windows from fogging.

Last edited:
You can't do that anymore since Tesla changed to a 15.5V lithium low voltage battery. The 15.5V lithium starter battery is rated for just 6.9Ah compared to 45Ah for the older lead-acid 12V battery.

I didn't try, but why not using a DC/DC Step Down Buck Converter, there must some device such as 10-28V to 12V ?

You must be familiar with the BuddyRC store, here is the link to the charger web page, you might find something working out.

I am using the X8 iCharger to balance my LiFePO4 batteries cells for my solar panel.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jcanoe

Enabling Sentry Mode is probabaly the least "expensive" way to keep the 12V sockets going. The 12V and USB ports are active as long as car doesn't "sleep". Sentry Mode prevents the car from sleeping.

Reactions: Otmar