TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Turning off lights in Park?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by vvanders, Jun 12, 2015.

1. vvanders

vvanders Member

I've noticed in Park that the headlights, DRL and brake lights all stay on. Is there any easy way to turn the car "Off" without exiting the driver's seat? We regularly park and stay in the car for a while and I would rather they not stay on.

2. ahm

ahm Member

When I need to do that I turn them off via the control panel.

3. vvanders

vvanders Member

Yeah, unfortunately that still leaves the brake light on if the headlights were on.

4. spottyq

spottyq Member

Cars in different markets have different abilities, at least regarding the ability to turn off DRL's and such.

If I remember correctly, Bjorn talks about it in his video about the 'camper mode'. Check it out, the answer you are looking for is probably there.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

In Canada, DRLs are mandatory, so there is no way to over-ride, but I did discover this: if I'm in the car in Park, and manually switch to Parking Lights, then to Off, all of the exterior lights will go out. As soon as I move the gear selector out of Park, the DRLs will come back on, or if it's dark, the full lighting system.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Per above, "camper mode" should do the trick.

7. invisik

invisik Member

I read on here before... open the driver's door and lift your butt up off the seat for a few seconds (so it thinks you've exited the car) and then the car will say it's off, then close the door and sit back down. Works great. (well, annoying you have to do it in the first place)

-m

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

"Camper Mode", if I recall, requires that the car be put in Neutral before setting the parking brake, but in Canada, the DRLs come on and stay on in any gear other than Park.

9. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Brake lights on in Park; without a foot on the brake pedal? How is that even possible?

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I think he meant the "tail lights".

11. Kalud

Kalud Member

If only we could at least get the lights off when parking brake is on, in neutral... That would do the trick. Unfortunately like you said, anything else than park gets the DRL on...

12. smilepak

smilepak Member

Camper mode keep the DRL on....

I haven't seen it turned off.

13. dieselol

dieselol Member

Even after getting out to plug in at the supercharger and getting back in the car and shutting the door, my headlights will not turn off (let alone DRL) until they hit some magical time-out.
    I've tried switching off the headlights from the controls menu and even powering off the car. They still refuse to turn off until some internal timer counts down.

14. invisik

invisik Member

Ahh gotcha. There is a setting for that, if it's what I think it is. Go into Controls, then Settings, then Vehicle. An option in the middle of the screen called "Headlights after Exit"--make sure that's off. Post back if that helps or not.....

Thanks!

-m