Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning OFF MX during vacation recommended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're going on a vacation for 6-10 days and keeping the car idle in the parking, is it recommended to switch OFF the car to avoid draining battery power when you return?

No need to do that. Mainly because it is impossible to totally shut it down (without tools anyway). Just leave it plugged in and it will take care of itself, for weeks or months. You might want to set the charge level to 50 - 70% while you're gone, but honestly, 6 to 10 days is really nothing.

The bigger question I have though, is why are you going on vacation WITHOUT your Tesla? That would be horrible! :cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
I'd recommend turning off Sentry mode, if feasible. If you don't need to check in on your car, turn off remote access. I would do the shut down, but I don't know if that really does anything. Make sure you turn off TeslaFi or other apps that keep querying the car for data.

Ten days should not be a problem. Vampire losses about 0.5 to 1% day. I left my car for 20 days and lost 25%, but didn't shut down all I could.

Best case is to keep it plugged into a regular 120 V outlet, if possible.

I would also make sure that scheduled charging is turned off when leaving the car for any length of time. With it turned on, if anything happens to the MCU, the car will not charge. Scheduled charging transfers responsibility for charging from the BMS to the MCU and an automatic software update gone wrong or a crash can kill it.

Thanks everyone. How and where do you turn off TeslaFi or other apps that keep querying the car for data?
There is an option on the location window. Click on the address of the car's location, a new browser window appears. See below the check marks you can select.

sleep.JPG

Hi G2019,

TeslaFi is a paid application that keeps track of your car - If you have not paid for it or if you are not on a free trial, you do not have it and it will not affect you.

The only non-paid application that communicates with the car is the Tesla app. on your iPhone/Android phone... But you still have to download it and sign into your Tesla account for it to work.

Shawn