TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Turning off the car

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Oppajer, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Oppajer

Oppajer Member

I was wondering if it might be a good idea to completely shut down the car periodically. If we think about the X as a big computer, wouldn't it make sense to reboot either on a daily basis or a weekly basis so that the "system" doesn't get bogged down? I'm not very technical, but I do notice that when my PC/mac has been up and running for awhile, it slows down quite a bit. Not sure if this is comparing apples to apples. Just a thought.

2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Nope. If turning off the car kept it running better, Tesla would make it easier (or standard) for it to turn off.

• Like x 1
  3. fmonera

fmonera Member

X is a big computer on wheels, yes, but with Linux inside (not Windows or MacOS), so there is no need to reboot the system to make it work faster. At least that is true for the base system (Linux kernel, etc). The application space is another story and you might be right if it is not well programmed. But that has nothing to do with the base operating system.

4. cmaster

cmaster Member

In today programming, libraries compiled against other libraries....the programmers have to trust that those libraries has no memory leaks. This is what will most likely bog down a PC.

However, I think Tesla probably use static analysis tools to help them build source code that are virtually memory leak free.

5. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

I run my iMac for months on end without rebooting and it works fine. I haven’t seen any evidence of my Tesla requiring a reboot other than when an App freezes on the main screen. It actually seems more reliable with all the sleep modes etc disabled, so always on.

6. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Well maybe. To me, Tesla software, especially the infotainment side, does not seem to be the most well implemented. There seems to be far too many times where things don't work as expected and reboot by holding the scroll wheel returns everything to expected performance

7. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

I agree with that, but that's more due to software bugs than a need to reboot periodically due to memory use etc. For example Spotify quite often freezes after losing and regaining signal, needing a reboot to work again. It doesn't matter how long ago it was last rebooted, it's not a memory issue.

• Informative x 1