Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning off the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if it might be a good idea to completely shut down the car periodically. If we think about the X as a big computer, wouldn't it make sense to reboot either on a daily basis or a weekly basis so that the "system" doesn't get bogged down? I'm not very technical, but I do notice that when my PC/mac has been up and running for awhile, it slows down quite a bit. Not sure if this is comparing apples to apples. Just a thought.

I was wondering if it might be a good idea to completely shut down the car periodically. If we think about the X as a big computer, wouldn't it make sense to reboot either on a daily basis or a weekly basis so that the "system" doesn't get bogged down? I'm not very technical, but I do notice that when my PC/mac has been up and running for awhile, it slows down quite a bit. Not sure if this is comparing apples to apples. Just a thought.

X is a big computer on wheels, yes, but with Linux inside (not Windows or MacOS), so there is no need to reboot the system to make it work faster. At least that is true for the base system (Linux kernel, etc). The application space is another story and you might be right if it is not well programmed. But that has nothing to do with the base operating system.

In today programming, libraries compiled against other libraries....the programmers have to trust that those libraries has no memory leaks. This is what will most likely bog down a PC.

However, I think Tesla probably use static analysis tools to help them build source code that are virtually memory leak free.

I run my iMac for months on end without rebooting and it works fine. I haven’t seen any evidence of my Tesla requiring a reboot other than when an App freezes on the main screen. It actually seems more reliable with all the sleep modes etc disabled, so always on.

Well maybe. To me, Tesla software, especially the infotainment side, does not seem to be the most well implemented. There seems to be far too many times where things don't work as expected and reboot by holding the scroll wheel returns everything to expected performance

Well maybe. To me, Tesla software, especially the infotainment side, does not seem to be the most well implemented. There seems to be far too many times where things don't work as expected and reboot by holding the scroll wheel returns everything to expected performance

I agree with that, but that's more due to software bugs than a need to reboot periodically due to memory use etc. For example Spotify quite often freezes after losing and regaining signal, needing a reboot to work again. It doesn't matter how long ago it was last rebooted, it's not a memory issue.

• Informative
Reactions: RedOctober
Having experienced 3 reboots during driving (2 times while on a highway) over the span of 3 months we placed a call to the service desk. We were told that regular soft rebooting is a good idea and should be considered weekly. Regularly scheduled (weekly) reboots for servers running complex dB software is quite a common for a variety of reasons, so this doesn’t seem like a crazy idea for a car. However, I am reluctant to heed the advice of the phone service tech ... yet. I am going to guess that network/wifi/cell/bluetooth can also throw monkey wrenches into any OS.