Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning "OFF" the Tesla MS. There seems to be an option of "turning off" the Tesla MS from the control screen. Several questions come to mind:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a) does this stop any of the phantom drain?

What happens when you approach the car with yout key fob? do the door handles present?

How do you "turn on" the car again... Does the screen activate and do you choose the optionof "ON"?

How long does it take to "re-activate " the car?

Any information in the car manual? I have found none yet.

Will sentry, or climate control be inactive as well?

Any other information available on this option?

Thanks
Hotrodder

Any information in the car manual? I have found none yet.

From some other posts you made, it appears you have a model S that is one of the legacy models. Here is the information in the manual on powering off, and a link to the online manual:

=========================

Powering Off​

When you finish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the drive stalk. When you leave Model S with the key fob, it powers off automatically, turning off the instrument panel and touchscreen.
Model S also powers off automatically after being in Park for 30 minutes, even if you are sitting in the driver’s seat.
Although usually not needed, you can power off Model S while sitting in the driver’s seat, provided the vehicle is not moving. Touch Controls > Safety > Power Off. Model S automatically powers back on again if you press the brake pedal or touch the touchscreen.
Note
Model S automatically shifts into Park whenever it determines that you are exiting the vehicle (for example, the driver's seat belt is unbuckled and the vehicle is almost at a standstill). If you shift into Neutral, Model S shifts into Park when you open the door to exit. To keep Model S in Neutral, see Instructions for Transporters.

Power Cycling the Vehicle​

You can power cycle Model Sif it demonstrates unusual behavior or displays a nondescript alert.
Note
If the touchscreen is unresponsive or demonstrates unusual behavior, reboot it before you power cycle the vehicle (see Restarting the Touchscreen).
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
You can't get out of the car without it powering on by opening the doors, for instance. You can only power off the car while sitting in it and not touching the brake or anything for the minutes it takes to completely shut down. No problem getting back into the awake car.

Upvote 0
Power down will stop most phantom drains. The FOB detector, security, cellular, and door system are always powered. The 12v battery will also be charged as needed. Climate and sentry will be off. The phantom drain will likely drop to about 1 mile/day. With the CPU powered down, it may take 30-60 seconds to light up again when you power up, although you can actually drive off with the displays not yet powered up (not recommended for safety). Also, remote access via the app will turn the car back on, but it may take up to 60 seconds to respond as other needed systems power up.

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
Power down will stop most phantom drains. The FOB detector, security, cellular, and door system are always powered. The 12v battery will also be charged as needed. Climate and sentry will be off. The phantom drain will likely drop to about 1 mile/day. With the CPU powered down, it may take 30-60 seconds to light up again when you power up, although you can actually drive off with the displays not yet powered up (not recommended for safety). Also, remote access via the app will turn the car back on, but it may take up to 60 seconds to respond as other needed systems power up.
You cannot have the car powered down and not be inside. It does power down without any connections, FOB detector, security, cellular, while you are inside. Opening the door to get out will always power the car back up. There is never the problem of exiting the car while inside and powered down, and the car is always powered up if you are outside of it.

Upvote 0
You can't get out of the car without it powering on by opening the doors, for instance. You can only power off the car while sitting in it and not touching the brake or anything for the minutes it takes to completely shut down. No problem getting back into the awake car.

You can, however, power down the car with your door open, and it will power down, then get out of the "still open" door, close it, and it wont wake up. I do exactly this after every software update, and have done so for like 3 years now.

Reactions: outdoors
Upvote 0
You can, however, power down the car with your door open, and it will power down, then get out of the "still open" door, close it, and it wont wake up. I do exactly this after every software update, and have done so for like 3 years now.
Are you sure that closing the door doesn't power up the car after you try to power it down with the door opened? When I power down with the door open, and then close the door, the window powers up into the channel, the interior lights come on and eventually dim, the exterior handles move, and the puddle lights on the handles are illuminated. Seems like this indicates the car is not powered down when the door is closed.

Upvote 0
So, this is the model S subforum, so I cant speak to a model S. on a model 3 and Y however, I have never noticed anything other than the fact that, because the door is open the window is slightly down (frameless windows), and they roll up into the gasket when the door is closed. The screen stays off, for example, and I have never noticed anything that indicates the car is powered up (including fans kicking back on, etc).

Upvote 0
Rejuvenating this thread because I haven't found a good answer in my searches...

When you do a "Power Off" via the button on the Safety screen, how much of the vehicle actually powers off, and how long should it take?

This weekend I was trying to troubleshoot some error codes I got while on a roadtrip (see my post at Traction control disabled and other several message...), and one of the suggestions was a reboot+power off.

Given my battery age, the battery tending via coolant loop comes on SoC > 75%. I had just SuperCharged and was at 85%, so the battery pump was running non-stop. When I got to a spot where it was safe to power off, I did so, stayed in the driver's seat, but the battery pump never stopped. I did a 5 min timer on my phone (instead of the usually suggested 2 min), stepped on the brake and both screens came on immediately, and Bluetooth audio from my phone immediately started playing. The fact there was no delay in audio from a BT reconnect speaks to me that the MCU never powered off.

Any insight is appreciated.

Upvote 0
Doors must be shut, and remain shut, with you inside of car. Touching brake, windows up down, or anything will wake the car up early or prevent it from shutting down. 5 minutes is generally enough time to shut down.
All of those statements are true, and in my test, the battery pump was still running after 5 min, hence my question of whether the BMS and any of its features/capabilities are touched during the use of "Power Off", if the MCU1 won't turn off while any HV battery systems are still running, if I needed to manually disconnect my BT phone before hitting the button, etc. etc.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
It sounds to me like this is the significant variable that would be preventing it from actually doing the shut down. While it is having to run the pumps and control and monitor them, it can't really shut down. So that is probably preempting that function.
My old 85D would not sleep at all if it was above 77%, and would stay awake until all 4 pumps running would bring it down to approx 73%.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
When you open the door, the car wakes up, and/or stops the process. From the manual:
"Although usually not needed, you can power
off Model S while sitting in the driver's seat,

provided the vehicle is not moving. Touch
Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off.
Model S automatically powers back on again if
you press the brake pedal or touch the
touchscreen."

Upvote 0
All I can say is it was what the Tesla guy had me do, and it worked.
Maybe the problem device had powered off in the shutdown process before you opened the door. Anyway, as always, opening the door will always wake up the car. As some have observed, there may be times the BMS or some other critical function will not allow a total power off from the button.

Upvote 0
Made another attempt today at rebooting/powering down with my SoC < 75%, disconnecting my phone's BT and turning off HVAC to try and "Power Off" as much as possible to see if I could clear my error codes.

Learned (on my vehicle anyway) the 2x USB ports under the armrests remain powered, and I could hear a pair of chirps/beeps, that seemed to have the first of the pair coming from the rear the second from the front (but I couldn't really discern the location).

• Informative
Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
Pretty sure you can have the window down get out of car. Have menu already open. Close door. Tap screen to wake up via rolled down window. Touch power off. Now closing of door not necessary. I have really long arms.

Have done that before like a year ago. Will try again later as I am driving 3 today.
Confirmed, but the menu doesn't stay open on screen wake up. You have to tap through to get to turn off. Put a soft towel on door, and no belt as one leans into car.

Upvote 0