Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning on heated seats without turning on A/C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I doing this right?
For M3 turning on heated seats I touch the A/C to bring up the options, this turns on the A/C, I select my seat temperature, then turn off the A/C. Is there a less convoluted way of doing this?

Am I doing this right?
For M3 turning on heated seats I touch the A/C to bring up the options, this turns on the A/C, I select my seat temperature, then turn off the A/C. Is there a less convoluted way of doing this?
you can go to the app and with the aircon off select a seat to heat. It then instantly turns the aircon on at what it is set at. Its just tesla engineers deciding they know whats best for us. I use my seat heater to keep takeaways warm on the way home, even in summer.

Hmmm… I’m pretty sure if you just tap the temperature and not the arrow symbols, the AC menu comes up, but the AC won‘t turn on (if it’s off). At least that’s what happens in my car on 2022.4.5.16.

I have a pending download for 2022.4.5.18. Is it any good 😄
It is actually the other way around.

I always turn off the climate system when I get home (so the damn thing doesn't come on every time I open a door). When I want to turn it all back on, I just tap the temperature. It turns on (with the same settings it had before) without opening the panel. Tapping the temperature when it is already on, opens the panel.

It is actually the other way around.

I always turn off the climate system when I get home (so the damn thing doesn't come on every time I open a door). When I want to turn it all back on, I just tap the temperature. It turns on (with the same settings it had before) without opening the panel. Tapping the temperature when it is already on, opens the panel.

I tried this again today. For me, tapping on the temperature brings up the AC panel, but it does not turn the AC on. However I always have the fan running, and it stays on. If I manually turn the fan off (hit the on/off button on the right, which turns all climate control functions off), close the panel, then tap on the temperature again, the fan does turn on, but not the AC. When everything is off (including the fan), the temperature is shown greyed-out in the task bar at the bottom.

If I turn the AC on, I usually manually turn it off before exiting the car (but leave the fan running). It remembers this state next time I get into the car.

I tried this again today. For me, tapping on the temperature brings up the AC panel, but it does not turn the AC on. However I always have the fan running, and it stays on. If I manually turn the fan off (hit the on/off button on the right, which turns all climate control functions off), close the panel, then tap on the temperature again, the fan does turn on, but not the AC. When everything is off (including the fan), the temperature is shown greyed-out in the task bar at the bottom.

If I turn the AC on, I usually manually turn it off before exiting the car (but leave the fan running). It remembers this state next time I get into the car.
I guess this depends on the definition of AC and why I said "climate system". By "climate system", I guess I'm saying the same thing as you say "AC panel". Now, if you are turning off just the AC portion of the climate system, then your climate system is still on and so will behave differently than what I described as I a turn the whole thing off.

I very rarely run the climate system without the AC portion turned on because a) the car usually fogs up, and b) it doesn't really control the temperature all that well.

I guess this depends on the definition of AC and why I said "climate system". By "climate system", I guess I'm saying the same thing as you say "AC panel". Now, if you are turning off just the AC portion of the climate system, then your climate system is still on and so will behave differently than what I described as I a turn the whole thing off.

I very rarely run the climate system without the AC portion turned on because a) the car usually fogs up, and b) it doesn't really control the temperature all that well.
Yes, maybe I should have made the title “without turning on HVAC”

Most times I find just having mechanical fan airflow is fine for comfort in the car - as well as using a lot less power. But Sydney generally has a pretty mild climate. Turning recirculation off to get ‘fresh’ air in sometimes solves the fogging problem. I’m not usually fussed that fan only doesn’t ‘control’ the temperature, all that happening is air outside the car is being blown inside the car.

I just ran into this nonsense today: it's raining, it's cold, and I want to have a warm seat. And I don't want the AC on. I found many threads like this one without a decent solution, so I figured I was probably out of luck... But then after about 20 minutes of fiddling with it (which is far longer than it ought to take to turn on seat warmers), I stumbled across this:

If you press the "..." icon in the center to open the app drawer, then long press on any icon to go into edit mode, the individual seat warmer buttons (as well as the front/rear defrost) appear and you can drag them back into the main bar where they should be! Hope this helps someone else avoid a headache.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman