TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

turning radius rwd v awd/p

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by eshagh, Aug 5, 2018.

1. eshagh

eshagh Member

I had the opportunity to drive the RWD and AWD/P back to back this fast friday. However, my focus was on 45-65 mph performance more than anything else, having previously spent time with a RWD. When returning the P to the showroom, I was asked to park it and was somewhat disappointed with the turning radius. Having previously focused on this with the RWD, I recall the turning radius being better than what I have on my model S.

Tesla lists the same turning radius for all variants, but I'm wondering, has anyone else noticed a difference in turning radius between RWD and AWD/P? Or seen official data suggesting they're the same or different?

2. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

Can't imagine turning radius would be dependent on propulsion. Usually steering rack and wheelbase decide the turning radius. And that should be the same for all Model 3s.

3. Mdrummer88

Mdrummer88 Member

The turning radius on my LR RWD is significantly wider than my old Nissan 350z. I’m still getting used to it. I feel like it’s it’s wider than my girlfriend’s Mazda 3 as well.

4. moridin2002

moridin2002 Member

Total steering angle may be limited on the AWDs due to axle clearance

• Like x 1
  5. CricTic

CricTic Member

The not-bad-not-great turning radius is pretty much the only thing I don't like about the handling of my Model 3.

• Like x 1
  6. eshagh

eshagh Member

This is my thought process as well, and subjectively from the test drive, pans out. Was hoping someone may have spent more time on this issue specifically with their test drives.

7. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

Not sure I follow you here. Are you supposing that the Axle(s) are placed higher or lower on the frame in AWD? I rather doubt that as the car was designed from clean sheet to be AWD..

8. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

It has always been my understanding that AWD and/or FWD cars have a larger turning radius due to different suspension geometry in order to handle the front drive axle. I know the Model 3 has different shocks that allow for the axle. I'm not sure about anything other components being different.

Also, just a thought, but does the Performance model have wider front tires? If so, that could interfere with the turning radius settings as well.

9. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Mercedes AWD increases turning radius vs their RWD. They brag about it only being inches vs. their competitions AWD vs RWD:

"Other versions of all-wheel drive vastly increase the turning radius of the vehicle, but with 4MATIC®, the turning radius is only increased by inches"

Source: What is 4MATIC AWD? | Mercedes-Benz of Massapequa

• Informative x 1
  10. VLTWGGN

VLTWGGN Member

I actually noticed this too - the turn radius is noticeably larger on my P3D than my '16 BMW 328i X-Drive, and considerably larger than my '16 eGolf (which is now Tesla's eGolf :D )

11. 240W

240W Member

i agree, turn radius is too wide, doing a u-turn on a narrow street sucks

12. moridin2002

moridin2002 Member

The axle runs through the lower mounting fork of the damper in the case of the Model 3 AWD. When the front wheels pivot about their steering axis, the front axles must be able to 'bend' as well, otherwise you wouldn't be able to steer. I have not designed front suspensions with a driven axle, but it is my understanding that there can be several potential issues at high steering angles. Those can either be clearance issues with the axle and other suspension components (fork leg?), or the outboard axle CV joint may not have enough deflection angle available to it, or the axle itself does not have enough plunge length to compensate for the effective change in length of the motor output (inboard) point to the hub/suspension upright (outboard) point to keep the splines/CV joint engaged.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. PessimiStick

PessimiStick Member

Turning circle on the Model 3 is ~1" off from my Evo, so I'm definitely ready for it, but for anyone coming from a car with a more "normal" radius, it'll probably feel weird and wide.

14. 1.21GW

1.21GW Member

Guys, it’s limited by the max angle of the CV joint. This is the problem with every front wheel drive car.

• Helpful x 1
  15. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

If no one beats me to it, by next Friday I should have my RWD back from getting its drive unit replaced and my brother should have his AWD-P delivered and I can do a side-by-side test.

So... Who's gonna beat me to it? :)

16. eshagh

eshagh Member

I'm basically on the edge of deciding drivetrain on this issue, so you'd be helping me out quite a lot!

17. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

I just did a comparison test and the RWD and AWD turning radii appear identical.

Me and my brother just tested my RWD and his AWD-P in a parking lot. We lined up each car at the same starting spot (marked with chalk), did a 180 degree turn, and then marked the edge of the inside rear tire where it finished, and the 2 final position marks lined up almost perfectly (within 2 inches of each other).

• Informative x 9
    • Helpful x 3
  18. eshagh

eshagh Member

This has been burning on my mind. Thank you!