Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

turning radius rwd v awd/p

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the opportunity to drive the RWD and AWD/P back to back this fast friday. However, my focus was on 45-65 mph performance more than anything else, having previously spent time with a RWD. When returning the P to the showroom, I was asked to park it and was somewhat disappointed with the turning radius. Having previously focused on this with the RWD, I recall the turning radius being better than what I have on my model S.

Tesla lists the same turning radius for all variants, but I'm wondering, has anyone else noticed a difference in turning radius between RWD and AWD/P? Or seen official data suggesting they're the same or different?

It has always been my understanding that AWD and/or FWD cars have a larger turning radius due to different suspension geometry in order to handle the front drive axle. I know the Model 3 has different shocks that allow for the axle. I'm not sure about anything other components being different.

Also, just a thought, but does the Performance model have wider front tires? If so, that could interfere with the turning radius settings as well.

Not sure I follow you here. Are you supposing that the Axle(s) are placed higher or lower on the frame in AWD? I rather doubt that as the car was designed from clean sheet to be AWD..

The axle runs through the lower mounting fork of the damper in the case of the Model 3 AWD. When the front wheels pivot about their steering axis, the front axles must be able to 'bend' as well, otherwise you wouldn't be able to steer. I have not designed front suspensions with a driven axle, but it is my understanding that there can be several potential issues at high steering angles. Those can either be clearance issues with the axle and other suspension components (fork leg?), or the outboard axle CV joint may not have enough deflection angle available to it, or the axle itself does not have enough plunge length to compensate for the effective change in length of the motor output (inboard) point to the hub/suspension upright (outboard) point to keep the splines/CV joint engaged.

I just did a comparison test and the RWD and AWD turning radii appear identical.

Me and my brother just tested my RWD and his AWD-P in a parking lot. We lined up each car at the same starting spot (marked with chalk), did a 180 degree turn, and then marked the edge of the inside rear tire where it finished, and the 2 final position marks lined up almost perfectly (within 2 inches of each other).

I just did a comparison test and the RWD and AWD turning radii appear identical.

Me and my brother just tested my RWD and his AWD-P in a parking lot. We lined up each car at the same starting spot (marked with chalk), did a 180 degree turn, and then marked the edge of the inside rear tire where it finished, and the 2 final position marks lined up almost perfectly (within 2 inches of each other).

This has been burning on my mind. Thank you!