Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning radius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it me or does the Y have a bad turning radius? I discovered this the hard way when making a permitted u-turn at a red light. To my surprise, I had to make a 3-point turn onto a two laner. Thankfully no one behind me or I’d be stuck in that position until he backs up too.

Tesla says it’s 19.9’. I don’t know if that is good or bad for a car this size but it just feels like the car is not turning as much as it could.

Is it me or does the Y have a bad turning radius? I discovered this the hard way when making a permitted u-turn at a red light. To my surprise, I had to make a 3-point turn onto a two laner. Thankfully no one behind me or I’d be stuck in that position until he backs up too.

Tesla says it’s 19.9’. I don’t know if that is good or bad for a car this size but it just feels like the car is not turning as much as it could.
Yes,turning radius of MY is one of its negatives. Specs are 12.1 m (39.8 ft). Way above average for similarly sized SUVs.

Reactions: jsight
I guess it depends on what you're used to. My F450 truck has the tight turning circle of 50.4', which is one of the reasons I got it. The similar F350 has a turning circle of 59.6'. Those 9 feet are very noticeable when maneuvering a trailer.

Not surprisingly, my MY feels quite nimble to me.

To me it's the most noticeable thing about the handling. The opposite of nimble. I'm probably spoiled by my previous EV, a BMW i3, which turns on a dime. It makes the Y feel a bit like the Queen Mary. Four wheel steering would definitely be a plus.
Eh, the specifications say the difference in turning diameter between the i3 and MY is about 7 ft (3.5 ft for radius). Minimum of 32 ft for the i3… that’s still a lot. Feels a lot more like splitting hairs.

Personally, I do u-turns all the time, since my job is to do deliveries. The difference between the smallest car I have driven (2010 Honda Fit) and my MYP might be whether or not I almost use three lanes or need a fourth lane to make a u-turn. In that case, the road is fairly busy, so I’m limited to when I can do it. And even if I can do a u-turn with only three lanes in my Fit, I’m always hesitant to do it with parked cars around, in which case I need the fourth lane to be open anyway.

Most other roads are too narrow for my Fit anyway, so I always have to do a 3-point turn. In those cases, I find it infinitely easier just to use a driveway to do it, regardless of vehicle.

I guess someone must either really love or hate a car, if their biggest complaint is the turning radius.

The turning radius is probably the worst thing about the Y. It’s not just the radius for doing a full U turn, it’s the generally cumbersome manoeuvring for parking or moving around obstructions, etc.

It is not possible to reverse in to a spot in a lot of UK carparks in a single motion, for example, because the radius is so large you can’t turn a full 90 degrees in the available space once you account for the space the front wing needs to swing out in to.

I also drive an XC40, which is even larger than the Y, but that turns like a startled cat compared to the Tesla.