Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning rear A/C off for better range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hiroshiy

New to my X, delivery January 20th and was at the detailer's for full XPEL wrap and glass coating.

Coming from Sig S P85, I'm pretty surprised to see high energy consumption of my X in the city (stop and go in Tokyo). Have 20 inch wheels and using sport mode (ludicrous turned off). I wonder if turning off rear A/C makes any difference.

In theory it should reduce power usage but do you have any experiences or instrumented test results? Right now I turn it off when driving alone. With family I ask them and turn on if necessary.

It doesn't make much difference - A/C is nothing like heater use.

With that said, if you have rear on Auto, it only comes on even if it detects weight in one of the back seats. You'll notice it says that no rear occupant are detected and its off without someone back there. You can force it on if you want at times, or force it off even.

The X just eats up energy much more than the S. 350-400 is going to be your new norm in good conditions, sometimes you can achieve better at lower speeds closer to 300/320 its rated for, but not often. In Winter, kiss all that goodbye and say hello to 600+ if you are somewhere cold in not long drives...

New to my X, delivery January 20th and was at the detailer's for full XPEL wrap and glass coating.

Coming from Sig S P85, I'm pretty surprised to see high energy consumption of my X in the city (stop and go in Tokyo). Have 20 inch wheels and using sport mode (ludicrous turned off). I wonder if turning off rear A/C makes any difference.

In theory it should reduce power usage but do you have any experiences or instrumented test results? Right now I turn it off when driving alone. With family I ask them and turn on if necessary.
Check the Average Wh/m thread and others about this. 20" wheels are averaging 360, while folks with 22" wheels are averaging over 430 Wh/m.

Here's the spreadsheet I'm using to track it...

What's your 90% and Lifetime Wh/m

Threads...

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

Model X Energy Consumption

Reactions: hiroshiy

It takes a few thousand miles before you settle into the 360-370 wh/m of course depending upon driving patterns and conditions. Something to do with break in on tires.

Thank you all for the info. So I can set to auto and not worry about it. Didn't know that! I have a 10kg car seat (when not occupied) in the 2nd row - will it turn on the rear A/C??

It probably won't turn it on, but it is easy to check. When you are in the driver's seat, just reach behind your left side and feel if air is coming through the pillar vent. There will be no air there if AC is off. Personally, I like to keep rear AC NOT auto since if I had an infant back there, or in my case, a dog, I would always want AC to be on.

It probably won't turn it on, but it is easy to check. When you are in the driver's seat, just reach behind your left side and feel if air is coming through the pillar vent. There will be no air there if AC is off. Personally, I like to keep rear AC NOT auto since if I had an infant back there, or in my case, a dog, I would always want AC to be on.
I actually have never tried to use Auto on rear A/C so I turned it on today. Now I found out that the A/C popup menu says "Rear A/C turned off because of no occupants". What a relief!

I actually have never tried to use Auto on rear A/C so I turned it on today. Now I found out that the A/C popup menu says "Rear A/C turned off because of no occupants". What a relief!

My software doesn't, or didn't, I'm not sure which, say that. Tesla probably added the warning at some point. I'm glad they did since it wasn't at all obvious what rear seat Auto setting does.

My software doesn't, or didn't, I'm not sure which, say that. Tesla probably added the warning at some point. I'm glad they did since it wasn't at all obvious what rear seat Auto setting does.
@Cosmacelf , here's my screen showing that there are no rear occupants (the line at the bottom).
DSC_6758-1080x1920.JPG