Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turo Doesn't Follow their Agreement with Hosts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to rent my 2017 Model S on Turo in San Francisco. First renter was last weekend. I purchased the "total coverage" most expenses TURO HOST insurance. ZERO OUT OF POCKET!. It cost 35% of the rental revenue. So I paid over $100 as the HOST for a 3 day rental for the "pease of mind". The renter drove my car to LA at speeds approaching 100 MPH (I was watching in horror on the Tesla app). On day three he returned the car to the TURO valet lot with a 7 % charge. (It could not be driven to the nearest supercharger). In the process of rushing to turn the car in the renter hit a curb with the right rear tire hard enough to bend the rim! I took my beautiful 2017 Model S to the San Rafael Tesla service center for repair. (expecting TURO would follow their contract with me). The replacement wheel was $350. Tesla said the impact damaged the alignment and strongly recommended a re-alignment..another $200. TURO called the damage "curb rash" and refused to pay!!!!!! TURO does not answer their phone or return calls. You are 100% on your own. If you are considering using TURO as a HOST I would suggest caution.

I would be too uncomfortable to lend out my own car on Turo but I’ve rented a few cars there and have always been respectful that it’s someone’s personal property.

I hope you get the damage covered and I think it would be wise for everyone lending out their Tesla on Turo to set the maximum speed to something reasonable (90 MPH?) via the app while the car is out of your hands. These cars are very powerful of course and can do some dramatic damage in the wrong hands.

I decided to rent my 2017 Model S on Turo in San Francisco. First renter was last weekend. I purchased the "total coverage" most expenses TURO HOST insurance. ZERO OUT OF POCKET!. It cost 35% of the rental revenue. So I paid over $100 as the HOST for a 3 day rental for the "pease of mind". The renter drove my car to LA at speeds approaching 100 MPH (I was watching in horror on the Tesla app). On day three he returned the car to the TURO valet lot with a 7 % charge. (It could not be driven to the nearest supercharger). In the process of rushing to turn the car in the renter hit a curb with the right rear tire hard enough to bend the rim! I took my beautiful 2017 Model S to the San Rafael Tesla service center for repair. (expecting TURO would follow their contract with me). The replacement wheel was $350. Tesla said the impact damaged the alignment and strongly recommended a re-alignment..another $200. TURO called the damage "curb rash" and refused to pay!!!!!! TURO does not answer their phone or return calls. You are 100% on your own. If you are considering using TURO as a HOST I would suggest caution.
Sorry to hear about your problems with Turo.

FYI, you can limit the maximum speed via the app and prevent the driver from going over whatever speed you set it to.

Reactions: sorka and 1375mlm
have you tried talking with the renter, half the time, ive had pretty good luck dealing with it outside of turo insurance.

another tip is to escalate through email to have a manager look at the issue, often times the lower tiers dont have power to do anything. ive never called them. email is best.

my last advice to anyone on here looking to put their tesla on turo is that if you care about your car then dont put it on turo.

I've rented Tesla's several times on Turo and heard a similar thing from a host in Chicago: one renter drove over the plug-in charger and Turo refused to cover it because that was "an accessory" and he shouldn't have left it in the car. That nearly left me nearly stranded unable to charge at my destination.

• Informative
Reactions: jepicken and GSP
I have been a Turo owner as well as renter for years. Turo's insurance coverage and protection of owners used to be better. But a few years back, Turo started self-insuring for most damage and only using Liberty Mutual for major damage. As a result, their internal staff serve as claims staff and are far more stingy than they used to be. I had several situations where I took all the recommended photos before and they argued that the photos were not detailed enough to distinguish from subsequent damage. That was untrue, INMHO. So I elevated within the company and finally got it paid.

So, when you're having problems with claims, elevate to the corporate level and you might get satisfactory resolution. My other recommendation is to take very detailed photos, including the wheels and all surfaces both before and after so you can prove the damage was not pre-existing.

This is typical silicon valley start up mentality... I had an issue with a food delivery hitting my car in my work's parking lot, the company shirked all liability and their insurance company fought me tooth and nail to prove the driver wasn't on company time between destinations (judge laughed).

I think these startups like uber/lyft/turo/etc provide a cool service, at the expensive of ignoring the evils of humanity, and thus don't provide protection against "the worst", assuming everyone will be "the best". OP is a good example why I just can't trust these kinds of companies with my property or my life.

If you've exhausted all the cordial options, I think a lawsuit is extremely appropriate in these cases. The companies aren't staffed to deal with this kind of issue in my opinion, take it to the big show instead.

have you tried talking with the renter, half the time, ive had pretty good luck dealing with it outside of turo insurance.

another tip is to escalate through email to have a manager look at the issue, often times the lower tiers dont have power to do anything. ive never called them. email is best.

my last advice to anyone on here looking to put their tesla on turo is that if you care about your car then dont put it on turo.
I love my Model S. Lost my job. Trying to hang on to it until I get re-employed. So it's "rent on TURO or Sell". Not good options....

I have been a Turo owner as well as renter for years. Turo's insurance coverage and protection of owners used to be better. But a few years back, Turo started self-insuring for most damage and only using Liberty Mutual for major damage. As a result, their internal staff serve as claims staff and are far more stingy than they used to be. I had several situations where I took all the recommended photos before and they argued that the photos were not detailed enough to distinguish from subsequent damage. That was untrue, INMHO. So I elevated within the company and finally got it paid.

So, when you're having problems with claims, elevate to the corporate level and you might get satisfactory resolution. My other recommendation is to take very detailed photos, including the wheels and all surfaces both before and after so you can prove the damage was not pre-existing.
Thanks. I gave detailed photos and a statement from Tesla that the curb strike caused the alignment damage. TURO is just not responsive. T

not for $200

Yes for 200 dollars. Its small claims, costs you nothing but time (that you have, that's not meant to be an insult). Likely they won't send anyone to defend themselves. California small claims says YOU have to show up, not a lawyer or legal representation. Boom, easy win... hell, seek more than 200 bucks for time spent dealing with them etc etc. Print it all out, bring it down to the judge, enjoy your easy collection.

I wish I coulda done this (my damage was 22K, and the delivery driver literally disappeared... think she moved states, couldn't serve her)