TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Turo Model S rental

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Loke88, Oct 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Loke88

Loke88 New Member

Anyone has thoughts about renting your Brand new Model S when not using? I been told one can rent it out on Turo for few days to make a few bucks, some rentals are as good as 300 bucks a day with three day rentals. Any thoughts?

2. BinaryField

BinaryField Member

I've been poking around Turo in the LA area, and most of the Model S offerings are in the low to mid hundreds per day. I've seen some Model X for around two hundred. Do you have a high-end model that you think will command a high rental fee?

3. Brian-MS90D

Brian-MS90D Member

I looked into it briefly and abandoned the idea when I discovered the insurance limit (around $75k I believe).

4. greeninja

greeninja Member

• Informative x 1
  5. Lee_B

Lee_B Supporting Member

I rent on Turo. It’s been great. Mostly get people on weddings or special occasions. I started with my i3. Ive been looking for a MX to add just for renting. Most months it covers my payments so it’s worth it to me

• Informative x 1
  6. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

Around the Tri-state area you’ll be able to rent for $200 and up. I see several listings over $250 for performance models.

7. OilSucks

OilSucks Member

I barely trust my father to drive my Tesla, let alone some random stranger lol

• Like x 2
  8. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

I rent mine on Turo. So far have had decent experiences. Have offset my upcharge in cost of ownership, but have not yet had it "make a payment".

Do you manage your own pricing or do you let the automatic pricing do it's thing?

9. Lee_B

Lee_B Supporting Member

I’ve done both.
    I’ve done both. I typically have Turo do the price because it’s not aggressive. My goal isn’t to rent everyday but rather a few weekends. In the summer I dictated my prices and was more active. It depends. I made a little over 5k since July.

10. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Interesting. I've not done 5k since July, but have it out 2-3x per month. I could probably have it out more, but don't want to miss out on my S. Thanks for the info.

11. Brian-MS90D

Brian-MS90D Member

Thank you for this information. I see even the standard limit has increased to $125k since I last looked (a little over a year ago). The only remaining restriction that I see now after a brief review is the 130,000 mile limitation. Thanks again, maybe I'll consider Turo again.

12. calisnow

calisnow Banned

I've spent more money than I care to admit while traveling and away from my Tesla. Weeks, and weeks, and weeks of rentals.

13. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member extraordinaire and plenipotentiary

I rented a MS and MX from Turo in D.C. to try both out before buying. I think I paid $150/day for the MS and $200/day for the MX plus fees and insurance. It was a great experience as a renter. The MS owner told me one of his previous owners hit a curb parking and damaged the bumper and radar sensor and another scratched the front fender. He said both were fixed under the insurance without a problem. He bought the MS with the express plan of renting it to offset the costs. Personally, I couldn't bear the thought of other people driving my MS without supervision. The MX owner told me his had been rear ended, but I don't know if he was driving, or a renter. He actually had a Spark that he drove daily.

I drive for Uber and Lyft occasionally, and I can barely stand to let people ride in the back. They seem to be able to make a mess and leave fingerprints everywhere in mere minutes. Lol.

14. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

I just looked on Turo for Teslas in my area (Indiana) and, judging by the prices mentioned here, the owners of the small handful I saw must be on drugs -- their prices were totally out of line, for not-particularly-"special" Teslas and for the location midway between Nowheresville and Boondocks. That might explain, at least in part, why a couple of them had zero rental so far...

15. jjh1234

They are probably setting their own prices. I realize there is some supply and demand calculation, but they probably have priced themselves out of the running. The guy I rented the MS from said he had very few rentals until he let Turo set the price. Looks like right now, there are MS in DC for $121/day to $500/day. You can imagine who is getting the rentals.

16. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

Pardon me if this is verging OT, but how does Turo set prices? Is it based on any (dynamic) analysis of actual local demand, or just general patterns for the sort of vehicle you're offering?

17. Lee_B

Lee_B Supporting Member

I think a little bit of both. I don't know the formula specifically.

18. LCR1

LCR1 Member

For those renting, how does pick up and delivery work? would the pick up/drop off at your house, a designated area? I guess what I'm getting at is I live outside the city and have a regular 9-5 job, so I can't really just drop what I'm doing to go deliver/drop off a car. I'd probably have to uber there/back from the drop off point also because I haz no frendz

19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

How about buying a "cheap" used Model S and using it exclusively on Turo. With that car you could probably pay for the used one and your personal one completely.

• Like x 1
  20. jjh1234

It's up to the individual renter how the pick up / drop off works. Some require you to pick up at a place of their choosing, some will add airports, and others will deliver to a certain area. Some charge extra for the last two options. On both occasions that I rented, I was able to meet the renter at his house and leave my ICE car parked there for the duration of the rental period. You will have to contact the individual renter if his policy isn't stated in the description.