Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turtle Mode: Power Reduced. Exiting and re-entering the vehicle may restore operation

NCAviator

Aug 19, 2017
North Carolina
I wanted to describe a problem I had with my Model Y in case others encounter it.

I took delivery of my Mode Y in August of 2020.

In November of 2020, I got an error message on my Screen: Power Reduced. Exiting and re-entering the vehicle may restore operation with a turtle icon. The error would occur at random when I drove it. Once when the car was parked, and frequently when I went over a bump. I would exit the car and re-enter and it would go again. After 4 days of errors, I summited a service request. Tesla reviewed the logs and said the car needed to come to a service center. I live 3 hours from a service center. I brought it to Charlotte, NC Service. They replaced the rear electric motor.

In August of 2021, I got the errors again. I again submitted a service request and took it back again in for service. This time they replaced the accelerator pedal. On this service, I also had to replace two rear tires. I believe this was caused because when they replaced the motor they did not realign the wheels. Tesla paid for the alignment, I bought the tires because they said I did not report the problem early enough (six months).

Less than a week later, I got the errors again. I talked to Charlotte service and they said they did not want me to drive the car and dispatched a wrecker/flatbed. They did more diagnosis and this time decided the problem was a wiring harness connector. That was repaired.

So far after a week, no errors have occurred. I don't know if the real error was the wiring harness or all there items were the problem.

I have owned BMWs most of my adult live. I found the Tesla Service good. The APP is an interesting way to communicate with a service contact. I got to meet the service agent (6 years with Tesla) and he was very courteous and helpful. When they took my car on the wrecker, they provided me with a rental car from Enterprise Car Rental (Audi Q3). Other times it was a Tesla (3 and a S).

When the car was in for the service work; they also performed other technical bulletin. The HVAC and Ball Joints.

Do I like having to take my Model Y to service 3 times. No, but that was the way it was. Wiring Harnasses are a known challenge in automobiles. With a Tesla they are even more important with all the computer interfaces. There were rumors that the Model Y was going to come with a new technology that greatly lessened the amount of wires. Maybe the new version that comes out of Austin will have that.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC