Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery in the next couple of weeks and we're in the midst of some pretty nasty road conditions this winter. Does anyone know if I can apply Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating - 16 Fl Oz. to a new vehicle? Is there any protective coating applied at the factory that I need to remove or wait to dissipate or can I have at it right from the get-go? If anyone has knowledge or experience in this area I am all ears. Thx!

That turtle wax product is a very good ceramic-infused spray sealant. You can certainly apply it to a new vehicle. You just want to make sure the paint is clean and decontaminated prior to application.

I am a big fan of these types of ceramic spray sealants and have used them for years. They don't provide as robust protection as an actual ceramic coating, but they are super fast and easy to apply.

In the same product line, Turtle Wax offers another product called Hybrid Solutions Wet Wax. You can use it as a drying aid after each wash. It will extend the life of your ceramic spray protection.

A ceramic spray sealant is a form of paint protection that you apply to clean, decontaminated paint. After applying with an applicator or by spraying directly onto the paint, you then buff it dry with a clean microfiber. They are super fast and easy to apply. However, most ceramic spray sealants only last anywhere from 2 to 6 months. Ceramic spray sealants are very forgiving. If you apply too much product or if you miss a spot wiping it off, it doesn't cause any problems that can't be easily fixed.

A ceramic coating is very different. It can be thought of like a semi-permanent wax or sealant. Ceramic coatings can last anywhere from a year to 7+ years. Ceramic coatings come in small glass bottles. You usually use a dropper to place a small amount of the coating on an applicator, apply the coating to a small section of the paint, let it flash, and then wipe off. While applying a ceramic coating is not terribly hard, it takes a lot longer to do the whole car, and it is not nearly as forgiving as a spray sealant. If you leave the coating on too long or if you leave some high spots, you may have to polish off the coating using a dual action polisher and start over. But again the benefit is that the protection lasts a much longer time.

Here are some videos that describe the differences between sealants vs coatings:

• Helpful
Reactions: CheapBastid
About every time my wife comes home I go over out Model 3 with Meguiers Ceramic Detailer as she has consistantly hit mud puddles, and I am retired without a woodworking shop so I have to do something. I can't say the spray is anywhere near a real ceramic coating ( DIY on my last car, 2017 Audi TTS ) and it lasted 3 years with a great shine. The spray Ceramic Detailer does a good cleaning job and puts a shine ( well, the 6 month old car is pretty good anyway on shine.) I will continue using the spray. I did do the dam part of the front end in some of the same (real) ceramic coating I still had. Big difference, has some depth to it.

I go over out Model 3 with Meguiers Ceramic Detailer
You might try picking up the Hybrid Solutions as it did markedly better than the Meguires in the video test above:
Results.jpg

You might try picking up the Hybrid Solutions as it did markedly better than the Meguires in the video test above:

I checked out the video. While the TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Sealant performed well in this particular test, I personally would not draw the general conclusion that the TW Hybrid Solutions is better than the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Spray Sealant. In the video you mentioned, the presenter first applied a strip wash and then a bunch of chemicals. While the TW Hybrid Solutions performed well, it may not represent real life durability (how often do you apply strip wash and a bunch of chemicals one after the other?).

Here is another test from a youtuber I respect ScottHD in which he compares a bunch of ceramic spray sealants (see below). Scott applied a bunch of sealants to a hood and left it outside in the Texas elements. To me, this is a more "real world" test. Here is a link to an Excel sheet in which he lists the failure date of each product:

As you can see, in his test the TW Hybrid Ceramic Sealant failed at 180 days, which is very impressive. But the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Spray performed even better. And there were several products that went more than a year, such as the Griots Garage 3-in-1.

These spray sealants are so easy to apply that in a way long term durability does not matter as much because you can reapply them. My feeling is, use the spray sealant that you enjoy using.

The only spray sealants I would avoid like the plague are the ones that failed within the first 30 days. For example, Nexgen and Shine Armor did not last a month. And F11 Topcoat failed after a single wash. F11 costs nearly $70 a bottle, and it didn't survive a single wash!

• Helpful
I am too lazy to do a REAL Ceramic coating like I did in the past. Hey, and cheap too I suppose..going to try the Mequiers Cermac Wax and continuse to use the Mequiars Ceramic hybrid Detailer...good enough for me. ( I used to do special finishes in the past..and was in a way envious of people who let their nice cars get real dirty..I still can't let it go that far, but I am getting to be less anal about it sometimes..that's just me )
Enjoy!

I am too lazy to do a REAL Ceramic coating like I did in the past. Hey, and cheap too I suppose..going to try the Mequiers Cermac Wax and continuse to use the Mequiars Ceramic hybrid Detailer...good enough for me. ( I used to do special finishes in the past..and was in a way envious of people who let their nice cars get real dirty..I still can't let it go that far, but I am getting to be less anal about it sometimes..that's just me )
Enjoy!

Meguiars ceramic products are great. If you enjoy using them and are happy with them, by all means continue using them.

For a ceramic detailer, I personally prefer Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray. The main reason is cost and value. The Meguiars Ceramic Detailer is on sale on Amazon for $15 for 26 oz. If you convert that into price per gallon, that come out to around $70-$75 per gallon. The Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray can be purchased for $30-$35 a gallon.

But then again, value and price are not everything. As an example, Meguiars D115 Express Wash and Wax is my favorite waterless wash. Even though there are cheaper waterless washes on the market, I still buy D115 because I love the product. Again, my motto is ultimately buy what works for you and, most importantly, what you enjoy.

Hey joebruin..what you think about this Turtle wash> Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wash& Wax?

That is the car wash that is part of the Turtle Wax Hyrbrid Solutions Ceramic line of products. I don't have any personal experience with this particular soap. But if I were to use the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Sealant and the other products in the Hybrid Solutions line up, I would consider using this soap.

Since you like the Meguiars Ceramic line, you may want to check out Meguiar's ceramic car soap:

I personally use mainly rinseless and waterless washes. I may do a traditional car wash once or twice a year if my car gets super dirty. But 99% of the time, a rinseless wash works great. If you are interested in trying a rinseless wash, you can try Optimum No Rinse or Mckees 37 N-914. If you want a rinseless wash that also contains SiO2 (ceramic), Mckees 37 makes a great SiO2 rinseless wash as does Wolfgang.

Reactions: RSpanner
i just got my m3p a week ago. got the meguiars ceramic shampoo wash and spray on ceramic product. the car wash , with the side car boost liquid, it a bit over the top. im not sure the wash is different than anything else. the ceramic spray is nice though.

I was told when I got my car from the delivery guy that they put a quick wax on the car before delivery. So you would want to take that off before applying ceramic. I used hydrosilex. They recommended taking the wax off with their product rewind or dish soap. You will get a better look. Wax and ceramic coating aparantly don’t look good together Dull.

I was told when I got my car from the delivery guy that they put a quick wax on the car before delivery. So you would want to take that off before applying ceramic. I used hydrosilex. They recommended taking the wax off with their product rewind or dish soap. You will get a better look. Wax and ceramic coating aparantly don’t look good together Dull.

You are absolutely correct that any wax or sealant will bond to the paint better if the paint is stripped of any previous waxes. However, I personally would not use dish soap on my car for several reasons: 1) There is some debate as to whether or not dish soap actually removes waxes and sealants. 2) Dish soap may leave a film on your car's paint, which can interfere with the sealant bonding to the paint. 3) Dish soap can dry out rubber trim over time. 4) Dish soap can result in water spots.

Instead of dish soap, I would use a car soap with a higher pH such as Mckees37 Coating Prep soap. Or you can use an automotive all purpose cleaner such as Optimum's Power Clean that also has a higher pH.

Of course, using a clay bar and polishing the paint either with a DA polisher or by hand will also remove waxes and sealants.

Last edited:
  • Informative
After reading some reviews about the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spay, I decided to give it a try on my new M3P. Which totally goes against what I usually buy, which is not big chain store waxes and polishes. But After using the Turtle Wax, I was amazed. I did not feel a need to do any other prep other than a good wash, since the car was fairly new. The results were excellent. I was amazed at the depth of shine. And after weeks of driving it seemed there were hardly any bug guts stuck on the front, which is a first. At the price point, doesn’t hurt to try.