Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tusker Salary Sacrifice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might have to check again, as I did so last year and they were stupidly high. A 2008 GT at a retail of 38k was around £280/month on the NHS scheme and a SR+ was like £400/month. So a car that's like 15% more expensive with lower running costs and considerably lower depreciation was almost 40% more a month.
Tusker quotes vary wildly between companies and trusts. So even with the NHS scheme, you can't reliably compare quotes from other people, unless you work in the same team in the same region.

£630 net for a Model 3 LR with EAP, 12,500 miles/year. They are a bit of a rip-off but still cheaper for me than buying it elsewhere due to insurance and major service due on my old car.

Also I wanted a Tesla, could afford it, and don't have the slightest guilt about wearing out their tyres in record time.

My company has just signed up to Tusker for salary sacrifice.
Quote is coming in at £583 for 15k per year over 48 months. Includes insurance/maintenance etc etc. What do you think ?
Which model? £24k on a M3P is not that bad, on an SR+ it sounds expensive.

Some of these companies do seem to know where to pitch it for profit, enough to still make it worth while but they're creaming it at the gross rates they're charging.

The NHS scheme you need to be mindful of pension issues. I can't recall all the details but there is a twist depending on your circumstances.

M3 SR+ std paint + white interior no AP thinghy, comes at £483 - 15k miles year, 48 months contract with wife on insurance,
But i went for a M3 LR Std white with white interiors rest all the same as above just came under £600

And a free charger installed already from Charged EV / Indra Smart Pro untethered (or £75 for the tethered option)

For me was a nice deal as I am not British, on a EU driver licence with no insurance history (well,2 years) was being quoted extortionate amounts of money.
Plus our scheme dosent mess with the pension thing as some of the NHS ones do (I work for an airline)
Scheduled delivery for the 4th November!

Which model? £24k on a M3P is not that bad, on an SR+ it sounds expensive.

Some of these companies do seem to know where to pitch it for profit, enough to still make it worth while but they're creaming it at the gross rates they're charging.

The NHS scheme you need to be mindful of pension issues. I can't recall all the details but there is a twist depending on your circumstances.
This is for the Long Range, standard White paint with Black interior.

This doesn’t have any effect upon my pension fortunately.

Apples with oranges I know but for the wider forum as an example Tuskers are quoting £441 for a SR+, 10K miles, no deposit, 36 months, all inclusive of insurance , tyres etc. Local authority, 40% tax payer.

I've worked out that overall including increased pension contributions, BIK, etc salary sacrifice is £1500 cheaper than private lease over 3 years.

I think Tuskers aren’t overly cheap. If your insurance is going to be steep, maybe it’s worth it. But you can buy on HP for a similar amount and walk away with a good chuck of equity after 2-3 years.
I haven’t even got around to looking at insurance. I’m 29 at the moment; Tuskers won’t allow me any Tesla until I turn 30, conveniently my current cars lease ends in May when I turn 30 so will work out okay.

How much are people paying for insurance?

these are gross prices right? So you’ll make tax savings on them? Because they seem to be roughly what you’d pay on a Tesla loan or PCP. My SR+ was £507 a month (albeit longer term and a 9k deposit) and my LR is £620pm. If the prices were that close I’d probably want the option that allows me to sell on the car if needed (ie I’m buying into the car) rather than a lease which seems expensive.

Perhaps lease companies knowing how much they can squeeze with these systems and still seem more affordable than doing it directly?

these are gross prices right? So you’ll make tax savings on them? Because they seem to be roughly what you’d pay on a Tesla loan or PCP. My SR+ was £507 a month (albeit longer term and a 9k deposit) and my LR is £620pm. If the prices were that close I’d probably want the option that allows me to sell on the car if needed (ie I’m buying into the car) rather than a lease which seems expensive.

Perhaps lease companies knowing how much they can squeeze with these systems and still seem more affordable than doing it directly?
Salary sacrifice schemes are 0% deposit so with your example, you save £9k or 20% ish straight away

Reactions: Mrklaw

It’s net impact on salary. I don’t have any pension impact.

The reason it works out a good deal for me is the insurance. Both me and my wife have pretty new uk licenses ( mine less than 3 and wife’s is less than a year), so that’s a big chunk we would end up paying if we go with pcp.

The reason it works out a good deal for me is the insurance. Both me and my wife have pretty new uk licenses ( mine less than 3 and wife’s is less than a year), so that’s a big chunk we would end up paying if we go with pcp.
It may have an impact on pension if you also have a salary sacrifice pension

The reason it works out a good deal for me is the insurance. Both me and my wife have pretty new uk licenses ( mine less than 3 and wife’s is less than a year), so that’s a big chunk we would end up paying if we go with

thanks. I can see it working for some - but they aren’t nearly as competitive as I’d expected. Assume tusker etc are making more profit off these than their ’retail’ lease prices where they have more direct competition?

No one offering a lease under a salary sacrifice scheme gives a great deal. They know no one will get anywhere near the net price with all the tax saving on offer so they don't have to give a competitive gross deal.

thanks. I can see it working for some - but they aren’t nearly as competitive as I’d expected. Assume tusker etc are making more profit off these than their ’retail’ lease prices where they have more direct competition?
Yes I agree. There could be a lot more cheaper deals out there but from my perspective and situation it looked to be a sweet deal ( not cheap but something I can afford). Some of the other EV’s like leaf, Ioniq, i3 we’re really more competitive in Tusker ( in the low 300s net impact) but they didn’t appeal to me much due to range and lack of supercharging network (important to me since I don’t expect to have home charging for a year atleast)

Tusker customer service did mention to me the quotes will very widely by employers they service and that some vehicles would actually be cheaper to lease than others even though they are more expensive if you buy them in cash ( maybe they get some fleet discount, etc)