Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TWC error code help..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A8248A2B-0CFE-46C7-BD0D-DDF898B7B53F.jpeg hi everyone.

So I got my TWC installed today, not got a car yet so couldn’t test with the sparkie but he Did everything and said all done, I’ve left it turned off but it’s all tested ok.

He’d had a good reabof the install guide to make sure he didn’t miss anything, whilst he’s done loads of chargers this was his first TWC.

Anyway I’ve just turned it on to have a look and I’ve got a solid green light and a single flashing red light.

According to the manual this is an overheat temperature warning but I’m not sure how as it’s cold, raining and it’s just that second been turned on?

He’s gonna come back but any thoughts?

Stephen

"single red flashing light"

there is only one red LED iirc - so is this LED making a single flash or is it making a number of flashes the pause repeat?
The number of red flashes may indicate other faults

also just in case it is a glitch on new installation, did you try a reset?
from the installation manual:

Reset
If a fault causes a RED error light to illuminate or flash and the fault condition is corrected, you use RESET the Wall Connector to resume normal operation. There are two ways to REST the Wall Connector:
• Press the RESET button for two to three seconds until the top lights changes from RED to GREEN. This clears the fault message but does not reboot the Wall Connector.
• In a rare situation, you might need to force the Wall Connector to reboot without recycling the input power. Hold the RESET button for five seconds. When the top light changes from RED to GREEN, release the RESET button. The top light should continue to illuminate GREEN. If the light returns to flashing RED, the fault state has not been corrected.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
Not tried the reset button didn’t think of that but will give it ago tomorrow.

Very top light is solid green then near the bottom is the red light I think it’s just a single flash as it will flash red once then go off for a number of seconds, then repeat.

Thanks again @thegruf hit the reset button and now getting three flashing red which points to the wrong setting on rotary switch.

I had a look at the manual and says for 32amp supply I need setting six however it says I should have a 40amp breaker, when I checked my consumer unit the breaker for the charger is only 32amp is that right?

I had a look at the manual and says for 32amp supply I need setting six however it says I should have a 40amp breaker, when I checked my consumer unit the breaker for the charger is only 32amp is that right?

That’s debatable.
  1. You will see lots of stuff in the US part of the forum saying the charge current has to be no more than 80% of the breaker rating. Ignore all of that, european breakers and circuit ratings are calculated differently (the physics is the same of course, but the numbers attached to various components are different).
  2. A UK breaker rated for 32A is intended to supply 32A indefinitely, but it will run quite hot while doing so. Manufacturers often specify de-rating factors if you put multiple fully loaded circuits side-by-side. So if this is in your main consumer unit it could possibly give trouble depending what is in the slots either side. If it’s in a separate mini-CU for just this circuit then no problem.
  3. Using a 40A breaker will make it run cooler, which is always a good thing for aging of the equipment, but at the compromise of higher trip current. If the breaker is providing fault protection to your armoured cable, a calculation would have to be done to check that a short circuit to the cable armour will give a high enough current to trip the breaker instantly- at least 160A for a B32 breaker, but 200A for a B40.
I trust your setup has the other things right- Type-A RCD and suitable earthing, probably involving an earth rod beside the chargepoint.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
Thanks!

He came today and sorted it and working fine, he said exactly the same about 32amp being fine.

It’s in my consumer unit but taking up one of 3 spare slots, with regards to earthing I don’t know... I suspect not on the rod front as I’ve not seen one but 3core was used so suspect he just used one as the earth...

Considering the PITA I’ve had routing cable and some sparkles saying they wouldn’t touch it I’m actually pleased with how it’s comebout the cable is mostly hidden or not very o virus and the wording I to the consumer unit it also really tidy.

Just need a car now to use it :)