Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TWC Gen 3 (Tesla Wall connector) for the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got a quote from a Tesla authorised installer about 10 days ago and he said the Gen 3 isnt OLEV approved and there are no plans to submit it for approval.

I quite like the look of the wall connector and i dont need any fancy features so it meets my needs just fine but it was coming out mega expensive opposed to the Easee which gets both the OLEV and EST grants for us so that is what I’m going for now.

We got a quote from a Tesla authorised installer about 10 days ago and he said the Gen 3 isnt OLEV approved and there are no plans to submit it for approval.

I quite like the look of the wall connector and i dont need any fancy features so it meets my needs just fine but it was coming out mega expensive opposed to the Easee which gets both the OLEV and EST grants for us so that is what I’m going for now.
I’m not an electrician but looking at the specs they’ve fitted a internal RCD and earth detection thing that zappi chargers have so it should make the instillation cheeper. As there might not be a need for an earth rod etc

Probably, as long as yours was installed with the proper RCD and earthing*. Early podpoints (I had a 2016) definitely weren't.

* possibly not even then as normally they're no requirement to upgrade existing circuits, but it'd be a good idea, given the rules were changed for a reason.

Hmmm the open charge point button.

Wonder if I can just swap my pod point out, which is wired straight into the outside meter box where power supply enter's house (bypassing circuit board)
I suspect not but I would consult a suitably qualified EV installer. As explained in the video, the TWC needs to be on a circuit with a Pen-Fault Detector, from what I can see Pod-Point now have this internally to their charger, so it's unlikely that he wiring from your mains fuse box includes it. It's often possible to fit that within a small CU within the meter box, so it doesn't preclude coming straight from the meter tails.

I was slightly confused watching that video yesterday as it's deemed a smart charger and it has wi-fi but there's no app or integration with the Tesla app, it's also been out for a year(?) in the US and not seen any new functionality added since then at least from the US reviews I watched.

I wouldn't lose much sleep over the OLEV grant omission.. chances are you wouldn't lose money getting it installed anyway.

The only practical difference is that rather than the installer pocketing the OLEV grant money themselves and inflating your quote to absorb it, and you just thinking it would've cost £350 more without it, you pay pretty much the same amount and know you haven't been ripped off.

Ask a local sparks to install an EV charger (i.e. not claiming the OLEV grant) and I bet you'd get a quote that was barely any different from the "OLEV approved installers".

Last edited:
I wouldn't lose much sleep over the OLEV grant omission.. chances are you wouldn't lose money getting it installed anyway.

The only practical difference is that rather than the installer pocketing the OLEV grant money themselves and inflating your quote to absorb it, and you just thinking it would've cost £350 more without it, you pay pretty much the same amount and know you haven't been ripped off.

Ask a local sparks to install an EV charger (i.e. not claiming the OLEV grant) and I bet you'd get a quote that was barely any different from the "OLEV approved installers".
This was my experience when we had ours installed -- the bulk of the grant seemed to be absorbed into the prices quoted for install versus going for a non-OLEV grant eligible wall connector.

Well that's it settled then! TWC mk.III for me!
Not so fast!

Yes it will operate as a charger with any car, but the Tesla approach is that all the smarts about charging exist in the car rather than the wall. That's why they can't get the grant in the UK (accepting the point that installers tend to overcharge when using the grant).

Most other chargers put a degree of smartness into the charger. For example my EO Mini Pro is set to the Octopus Go cheap rates then whether I plug in my Tesla or the other half plugs in her Leaf we just get the cheap charging times. Other chargers like Zappi can link with any solar installation so only charge the car at the rate you are generating for example.

Tesla can schedule a charge, but not stop the charge, unless you get a bit creative (e.g using TeslaFi).

Not so fast!

Yes it will operate as a charger with any car, but the Tesla approach is that all the smarts about charging exist in the car rather than the wall. That's why they can't get the grant in the UK (accepting the point that installers tend to overcharge when using the grant).

Most other chargers put a degree of smartness into the charger. For example my EO Mini Pro is set to the Octopus Go cheap rates then whether I plug in my Tesla or the other half plugs in her Leaf we just get the cheap charging times. Other chargers like Zappi can link with any solar installation so only charge the car at the rate you are generating for example.

Tesla can schedule a charge, but not stop the charge, unless you get a bit creative (e.g using TeslaFi).

Judging from the Tesla Shop it looks like i'm in no rush as they're out of stock, and on top of this, I don't have a VIN so I cannot place an order (ordered via Business Lease company, so I won't get confirmation for a long long time).