Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TWC Gen 3 (Tesla Wall connector) for the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The concern for me is if we get another car that isn't a Tesla. I.e. the missus swaps her ICE for a VW BEV, or if my next one isn't a Tesla. We will need to install another one won't we?

I have two of the earlier ones purchased from Ebay and have them set to load share. My daughters 2017 Zoe works perfectly alongside my Tesla and saves the odd time fighting over the cable.

I've just found out that a Tesla Service Centre has a few Gen 2 up for grabs. They certainly seem to be better with fewer issues?
I don't know about the mk3 but the mk2 needs additional DC protection and (if car is charged outside) O-PEN fault protection to be added to the installation that many charge points have all or part built in. So a mk2 TWC is more expensive to install than many charge points, irrespective of no OLEV grant.

I have two of the earlier ones purchased from Ebay and have them set to load share. My daughters 2017 Zoe works perfectly alongside my Tesla and saves the odd time fighting over the cable.

Are they wired completely separately or via a junction box? I've seen US installations that take a single cable from the consumer unit and then split it to feed two chargers, but I'm not sure that's a suitable installation method in the UK.

I'm considering replacing my old charge point with one of these and then maybe adding a second one in the future as we'll have two BEVs in a couple of weeks. (Might not bother, but we'll see how we get on swapping the cable back and forwards.)

I have the Gen 3 and had the Gen 2 just before it (got it removed and changed over). The difference is huge. The cable might be slightly smaller, but it's also much lighter and easier to use. I also had issue with the Gen 2, where at times it would short out the fuse box when I had a lot going on in house (dryer, oven etc). I spoke the the electrician that installed it and he mention the Gen 2 doesn't have any DC protection which would likely be the cause of the shortages, he also mentioned that he has had many clients that he has been recommending to not use Tesla Wall Connectors because of this reason. When he installed the v3 he said that it was a big game changer.

Plus the the unit itself now connects to wifi, which means it gets updates and let me control it from wifi, which is pretty neat.

I have the Gen 3 and had the Gen 2 just before it (got it removed and changed over). The difference is huge. The cable might be slightly smaller, but it's also much lighter and easier to use. I also had issue with the Gen 2, where at times it would short out the fuse box when I had a lot going on in house (dryer, oven etc). I spoke the the electrician that installed it and he mention the Gen 2 doesn't have any DC protection which would likely be the cause of the shortages, he also mentioned that he has had many clients that he has been recommending to not use Tesla Wall Connectors because of this reason. When he installed the v3 he said that it was a big game changer.

Plus the the unit itself now connects to wifi, which means it gets updates and let me control it from wifi, which is pretty neat.

I suppose the big issue at the moment is that they are out of stock, and there’s huge silicon shortages across the world so no electronics can be made.

82CF88DF-58EB-4A50-BF0B-B425CAADC6BF.jpeg
Latest gen Tesla Wall Connector installed - roll on the 16th! 😎

View attachment 667848Latest gen Tesla Wall Connector installed - roll on the 16th! 😎

Based upon gen 2 TWC experience which has a nice thick cable, can I suggest that you probably want to loop the cable in the opposite direction (so anticlockwise) and, difficult to tell from the picture, but the final loop going to the plug, ensure that it is not so long that if the plug falls/is knocked out of the holster it cannot not swing and hit another object or the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: kelvin 660