Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TWC: Native Tesla connector vs J1772

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently ordered an MYLR and am looking at buying a level 2 charger for my home. I see Tesla offers two - one with a Tesla connector and one with a J1772 connector.

The Tesla will be my only EV for now, but who knows, eventually in the future my wife may want one that's not a Tesla. I can't seem to figure out why it'd matter which wall connector I purchase. If I get the Tesla connector, I'm going to be using an adapter anytime I charge a non Tesla, and if I get the J1772 connector, I'll be using an adapter anytime I charge the Tesla. Seems like a six of one, half a dozen of another situation.

Considering the J1772 is $125 more, what would the benefit be in getting it over the Tesla connector?

Get the Tesla Wall Connector with the proprietary port for your Tesla. If your wife gets an EV later, you are going to want to install a 2nd station. At that point, depending on her choice of EV, you install a J1772 if she doesn’t get a Tesla or another Tesla Wall Connector if she does.

If you are thinking about 2 EVs, you should consider that requirement when talking to your electrician about your home’s load capacity. Easiest way to do it is to add a sub panel with an appropriately large feed into it, to be able to support charging 2 EVs.

Reactions: cdub and cpaull
Get the Tesla Wall Connector with the proprietary port for your Tesla. If your wife gets an EV later, you are going to want to install a 2nd station. At that point, depending on her choice of EV, you install a J1772 if she doesn’t get a Tesla or another Tesla Wall Connector if she does.

If you are thinking about 2 EVs, you should consider that requirement when talking to your electrician about your home’s load capacity. Easiest way to do it is to add a sub panel with an appropriately large feed into it, to be able to support charging 2 EVs.

I agree, except you don’t necessarily have to worry about panel capacity for that second EV. Tesla Wall Connectors can share a single breaker, so when it comes time to get a second EV, you can share the breaker if you need to.

Two Tesla's here. Never installed the second charger. With 48A, I can charge either one at night or worst case, back to back. Unless both cars are running 150 miles or more for daily commutes, there is no need for second charger.

Get the lower cost Tesla wall charger now, and if your next car needs J1772, just get an adaptor. That's my plan.

Reactions: cpaull
I've got two J1772 EVSEs because I had non-Tesla cars when I bought them. They work fine and I have no complaints. However, if I had to replace one, I'd use a Tesla plug, both because they are cheaper than the J1772 equivalents, and because they would be a little more convenient. For the price difference between the Tesla and J1772 versions of the WC, you could buy a Tesla to J1772 adapter if and when you ever needed to charge a non-Tesla.

Get the Tesla wall charger. It's lower cost and if you change to non Tesla in the future you can use an adapter. If your wife gets a non Tesla EV install a 2nd J1772 Wall Connector in a power share.

One correction to the above is that Tesla requires each wall connector to be on its own branch circuit. Sub panel only needed if you have no room or it's a long run.

I have this exact setup here. I have allocated 60 amps to EV charging which is shared between two wall connectors. Each on their own 60 amp circuit. They can charge at up to 48 amps individually or when both are charging they get 30 amps each or intelligently share the 60 amps total capacity of the network.