Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TWC Wall Charger - Charge Handle - any one seen inside or know how to open it up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any experience with the wall charger (TWC) handles? Or know how to open them up?

I have a Gen 2 TWC that I think has a faulty pilot cable connection. Sometimes it does not connected properly with a "check power" message on the dash. Tacking a few twists out of the cable near the handle fixes the problem. I can reliably reproduce the problem by turning the handle 360 degrees.

Other people have had similar problems: Wall charger issues

So I would like to to open up the handle a see if I can fix it. But I can't find any reference on how to do this. I fear it may be a sealed unit full of filler.

It's the European / AU / NZ type 2 handle.

Thanks, Marty.

Funny, I came here to ask the same question. I have the Gen 2 charger (USA version) and the button doesn't open the charge port anymore wirelessly. The car recognizes the button push once its connected, so it will release it. I can open the charger port with other chargers and from the screen or app, so think the charger port is working correctly. Wanted to open the handle to see if a wire got loose, but don't see an obvious way. I thought there might be a screw on the end between the electrical contacts, but closer examination nixed that idea. The parts diagram gives this hint, and doesn't show any fasteners holding it together... Don't want to break anotherwise working Gen 2 charger by prying on it without some idea of what I'm trying to accomplish. Would be very happy to have a dead charger donated to the cause (hint hint) so we can all learn how to open them up...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 11.20.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 11.20.04 PM.png
    219.7 KB · Views: 70