Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Twin Charger Confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep us updated with the overheating issue. How did you know the cable overheated?
I think you're asking "why did I think to check that the cable might be overheating" for the Bellevue Store case. Assuming that was the question... :)

When I plugged in, it was at 60A. I tapped the UI to push it to the max it would let me -- 72A. Thinking "maybe it is limited for a reason" with a mix of "well, my home HPWC blew the fuses back when...", I figured it might be a good idea to double-check things after a minute or two. When I touched it, I felt like I just lost my fingerprints. With my other hand, I quickly tapped the amperage back down to 60A and wait a few minutes before testing again. After verifying 60A was not hot, I gave the store a call to let them know of the discovery.

It almost seems as though Tesla guaranteed the vendor of the HPWC a certain minimum volume and then found that not enough people were ordering them. Hence the bundle to move product...just a guess, of course.

If this is true than they did a terrible job to move it in the first place. Everyone I spoke with at Tesla (Ownership, Showroom people, etc) tried to talk me out of the twin chargers. I have no idea why. But I'm really glad I have them.

Where is there a 70-amp charger in the Mid-Atlantic region? I'd be very interested to learn or understand how to find these on the East Coast! Thanks.

I need to get this info onto the map, but the quick answer is just about all the Tesla Store locations on the East Coast, Some service centers, and the Omni Hotel in Richmond. Also, there are a couple of private home chargers that are shared on as needed.

Peter

Where is there a 70-amp charger in the Mid-Atlantic region? I'd be very interested to learn or understand how to find these on the East Coast! Thanks.

I was referring to the Omni charger, which I learned in another thread is 70a/208v. apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

I need to get this info onto the map, but the quick answer is just about all the Tesla Store locations on the East Coast, Some service centers, and the Omni Hotel in Richmond. Also, there are a couple of private home chargers that are shared on as needed.

Some of those (most? all?) are 80 amp, no? The Tesla ones you're talking about are HPWCs, right?

Although some of the HPWCs could be limited to 60 amps.