TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Twin chargers physically included with all cars

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Spurkey, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

I took a road trip with my car this weekend, I got my car with the twin charger option. I stopped at Sun Country CS-90 charge station which provides 75A at full load, my car would only pull 40A. I talked to Tesla Service today to try & diagnose what might be wrong (thinking that maybe they just didn't include the second charger) - Tesla Service claims that all cars manufactured to date have included the second charger, the second one has just been disabled in software for those that elected not to take the option. The service guy stated that they did this in the hopes that people would change their minds in the future.

Anybody *not* get the twin charger option and willing to do some spelunking around under their car to check this out?

2. Zextraterrestrial

take out the rear seats to get there I think

3. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

I'm seeing a trend here...

Who thinks that everyone has a Performance version under the hood (err, a...you know what I mean) that is just being kept in check by software?

4. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Next we're going to learn that all batteries are configured for 85 kWh option but that it's just a software change to limit to 60 kWh. If the weights of the cars weren't different, I would actually suspect that to be true.

5. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Not true. I was at Al & Ed's yesterday picking up my car (with some cool new toys) and they has two other cars there with their rear seats removed and neither has twin chargers.

6. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

7. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

It definitely sounds too good to be true. I'm especially irritated because I paid for the twin option but the second one doesn't appear to work... :cursing:

8. Bperry

Bperry Member

I pick up mine tomorrow with no twin chargers, so, i'll take a look to see if i have a second. I hope not since I don't want the weight if it doesn't need to be there. Thats really frustrating that your high power charger doesn't work.

Also, the Performance edition has a different power inverter with a more dense wrapping of wiring. It is *not* simply a software limitation.

9. richkae

richkae VIN587

This sounds like someone was thinking about supercharger hardware and misspoke.

10. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I agree, sounds like someone was confusing twin chargers with superchargers.

11. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Don't see why they would have a second one for sale in the store for $3600 if they are all already on the cars, in which case they would (or should) charge the original $1500.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yeah that was supposed to be based on the labor costs.

13. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

William just posted a pic in another thread last night that he took after removing the rear seats. I'm pretty sure it showed only a single charger. Unless this is a new decision that all cars built after a certain date are to be configured in such a way. But I doubt it. I think the message may have been mixed up. It's the supercharger hardware that is present in all vehicles and is only software limited.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

What's the 6th character in your VIN?

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like even Tesla employees get the Twin Chargers vs. Supercharger options mixed up.

15. markb1

markb1 Active Member

#15 markb1, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
    Here?
    rear seat / cushion removal with pictures

I see two chargers.

Edited to add: I have no reason to think he didn't order twin chargers.

16. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Mods may want to modify the title of the thread so as to not confuse people...

17. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

As a second data point, I was at the Toronto Service Center a couple of weeks ago when they were unpacking a large parts shipment. Included was at least one new charger unit which (I'm told) was to go into inventory for possible future upgrade orders.

19. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Oops, so you are right about the pic. For some reason, I thought I only saw 1 when I looked at it. OK, I assume he ordered twin chargers. But worth a check. I still think the confusion is about supercharger capability. Sorry for the confusion! I'll use the "2 new babies" excuse :)

20. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

The 2nd charger is not a twin but differently shaped (from reports) so the one jammed into the center position would presumably be the 2nd.
    Which unit is the primary charger? I have two so it would be nice to know what's what under the seats.
    --