Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Twin Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a benefit to having the twin chargers option at any of the roadside charging stations or at the superchargers?

Not at superchargers bc they're direct DC charging. The on board chargers are to convert AC to DC, a second charger doubles the capacity. As EV infrastructure grows I expect we'll see more and more public chargers capable of charging at greater than 10kW(single charger), already were seeing some 70amp J1772 chargers. And if you want to take full advantage of the HPWC's 20kW capability anywhere you'll want both.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Most public charging stations in the US are a wimpy 30 amps. Adequate for Leafs and Volts, kinda near useless for a significant charge on a model S. However, this is the vast majority of J1772 charging stations in the US AFAIK. A single charger would allow you to charge up to a max of 30 ish ideal Miles or range per hour at home, and be more than enough to handle these most common charging stations.

However, there are J1772 stations that exceed 40 amps. The standard allows for up to 80 amps. So if you happen to encounter a charger with 80 amps "in the wild" with a single charger it would be no better to you than a standard home wall outlet, and only marginally better than a typical 30 amp J1772.

With dual chargers, you could take advantage of everything beyond 40 amps. In a best case scenario, this could potentially cut your charging time in half at that charger.

This is assuming that no supercharger is available in the area.

For me, the dual chargers + supercharger was a no brainer decision. Any time I have the option to charge faster, I want the ability to do so. My very first questionably long ranged trip will be less than a month after I pick up the car, and it turns out that the dual chargers are likely to save me 45 minutes on a 6-7 hour drive, but YMMV depending on where you travel, how far, and how often.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Also, what has been the actual charge rate for Model S owners with the dual chargers at tesla 70amp chargers. I got a single charger thinking the Superchargers would up to the NW sooner than later. I only get 18-22mph charging at Washington Square, less at a J1772. I'm kinda regretting my choice.

Also, what has been the actual charge rate for Model S owners with the dual chargers at tesla 70amp chargers..
I don't remember how early in the charge ramp-up, this picture was so the "mi/hr" is potentially in flux. The voltage and amperage values should be correct though.
BellevueRoadsterChargerWithYellowSCable.jpg

Edit:

Using a little napkin math...

31 mph @ 240V / 40A

// ideal home rate @ 14-50R
// * voltage ratio
// * amperage ratio
// * rated/ideal ratio
// * projected/rated ratio
31 * (200/240) * (68/40) * (265/300) * (131/138) = 36.825

So maybe the 39 mi/hr is about right.

Last edited:
Tesla just listed the second charger as an add-on item in the accessories store. I'm on tapatalk so I can't link it right now. The price was more than 2x compared to selecting it from the factory.

Tesla just listed the second charger as an add-on item in the accessories store. I'm on tapatalk so I can't link it right now. The price was more than 2x compared to selecting it from the factory.
This is very good news, and I'm not bothered by the $3,600 price tag. I've been having a niggling concern that I only got the single charger -- there are, after all, only a few 70A charging locations in the northeast, and the odds of my needing to use one are negligible. But, what if I move? Or high-amperage AC charging becomes widespread? Knowing that an upgrade is an option satisfies that concern.

This is very good news, and I'm not bothered by the $3,600 price tag. I've been having a niggling concern that I only got the single charger -- there are, after all, only a few 70A charging locations in the northeast, and the odds of my needing to use one are negligible. But, what if I move? Or high-amperage AC charging becomes widespread? Knowing that an upgrade is an option satisfies that concern.
I agree. I had been told by a service rep that adding the second charger after production was somewhat of a "custom" job and only one or two people had actually had it done at that point. The "costs" I had been hearing were >$4,000. Plus, it didn't sound like a normal "factory" upgrade.

I won't have any need for >40A charging at home so I opted for single charger at production, but out on the road the dual might come in very handy. It will take years for the Super Chargers to be completely rolled out. There is always the possiblity of high capacity DC chargers (other than Super Chargers) coming into popularity and possibly the onboard Super Charger hardware could make use of those.

I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered elsewhere.

Can a bank of chargers be used instead of only 2? Since the chargers are not that big, would there be any benefit to having 6-8 or more? Just speaking hypothetically.

The limitation would be the AC input. Cable size and car connector would limit, and service for most homes and businesses are 400 amps at most. 8 x 40 amps is 320 amps!

It would also make the car significantly heavier.

Last edited:
I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered elsewhere.

Can a bank of chargers be used instead of only 2? Since the chargers are not that big, would there be any benefit to having 6-8 or more? Just speaking hypothetically.

This is really what the SuperChargers are. As mentioned by Lloyd, though, your typical home service won't be able to handle more than twin chargers.