Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Twin Falls, ID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading east from Twin Falls toward I-80 in Wyoming taking the US30 (Oregon Trail) shortcut becomes very attractive as it is shorter and lets you completely avoid the Utah Megalopolis. But from Pocatello SuC to Rock Springs SuC is 250 miles which is a Tesla's absolute max especially with low temperatures or headwinds. Luckily right in the middle of this stretch is Cokeville, WY which offers a Flying_J truck stop but more importantly a nice motel with 50 amp RV chargers located a few hundred feet down US30 from the F_J. So if you can plan a stay-over here your EV world has expanded.
--

I get 2 miles longer and 24 minutes slower.
Yes, that's true--I see 2 miles longer too, if you're counting going through Pocatello.

But if someone is looking for a little bit of a shortcut, you could go down as far as Tremonton Supercharger anyway. And then you have a choice of the US highway 89/30 route that is 200 miles to Rock Springs, or the intertate route down through Ogden first, which is 212 miles.

lets you completely avoid the Utah Megalopolis
But really if you are cutting east to I-80, it splits off pretty far north and you don't get near Salt Lake City anyway, so the interstate route isn't bad.

But if someone is looking for a little bit of a shortcut, you could go down as far as Tremonton Supercharger anyway. And then you have a choice of the US highway 89/30 route that is 200 miles to Rock Springs, or the intertate route down through Ogden first, which is 212 miles.
I've gone that way before just for the hell of it, but it certainly isn't faster. 12 miles shorter but 27 minutes longer. Plus you have to charge to full in Tremonton to be sure you make it because you will be bypassing the Evanston supercharger.

I agree with your point about any SLC metro traffic already being mostly avoided by the interstate system on this route. Might be a different story if you are continuing south on I-15 at rush hour, but I don't see any reasonable way to bypass in that direction, so...

The [GreenRiver/Pocatello/TwinFalls] route using US30 is the winner for speed and, I'd argue, peace of mind as well. In winter it is iffy in its own right as well as relying on I80 in WY being open which in December is problematic. Nonetheless it is an excellent option for travelers well versed in the Evanston/Ogden experience, which I now avoid whenever possible. In the Subaru it becomes an easy 2 day trip of 1300 miles which had been a three day in the ModelS. But come June I'll try a cannonball run with the Tesla using this potential Cokeville RV/motel charge point to see if it can be done in 2, which will include making the 10.30pm ferry.
--

< I get 2 miles longer and 24 minutes slower. And that's not including the longer charging time required in Pocatello (or the hotel stay/RV park charge). {Plus EV]

Are you doing the full Pocatello/RockSprgs leg without grabbing some extra charge somewhere? Details please!

I pulled my Subaru out of storage and put on extra-tall Michelin X-Ice winter tires so now the mileage readings are shot to hell. But its more about the rural vs urban routing benefits rather than distance (identical) or time (anyone's guess). Indeed one could easily turn those wide open empty spaces in ID/WY into a blur and save some real time (I've heard tell :D).
--

< I get 2 miles longer and 24 minutes slower. And that's not including the longer charging time required in Pocatello (or the hotel stay/RV park charge). {Plus EV]

Are you doing the full Pocatello/RockSprgs leg without grabbing some extra charge somewhere? Details please!
I just routed from the Twin Falls supercharger to the Rock Springs supercharger on Google Maps. The distances are nearly identical, and unsurprisingly, the all-interstate route is faster. And as I said, the charging concerns we have driving a Tesla make the all-interstate route much more preferable as it stays on the supercharger highway.

I'm not disputing any of your other reasons why you might want to go through Cokeville, but don't try to argue that it's faster. It isn't.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Forget what I said about speed (my bad) which was based on fake mileage of extra-tall tires and ICE-speed advantage as well. Still, ask yourself why semi drivers avail themselves of the US30 route, conditions permitting. I'd venture to say that doing so offers a continuation of the rural Wyoming experience that most of them have gone thru since Laramie or Nebraska. If there is no need to endure the Ogden megalopolis well then take the alternative. So who will be the first to take this Tesla Challenge.*

* There is by now a long list of 'visited every Supercharger' Tesla users so fleshing out secondary routes that require a bit of level2 charging, since Superchargers will likely not come for a long time yet, is the next challenge.
--

Reactions: KJD
860+ out of how many North America SuperChargers?

So its you and Bighorn, right? 8^)
--
There are 1698 superchargers worldwide according to supercharge.info. I'm barely over 50%!

Also from a practical standpoint, you cannot really have visited every single one, even in just North America. They open new ones so frequently that you can't get to them all! IIRC, there may have actually been one time during a slowdown of the supercharger build out where you could have gotten all in North America, but you would have needed inside information to know that that was going to happen and plan your trip accordingly. So again, not possible in any real sense.