Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Twitter and the Chief Twit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why on earth would Elon want to own a social network? What a complete waste of time and money, that does absolutely nothing to advance anything remotely meaningful. Making your focus 'Free Speech' is also a stupid starting point. We all know that its an unsolvable 'grey area' between blocking video of beheadings and politically motivated disinformation. No one can get it 'right', it's not an engineering problem.
His competitor is Facebook, another thoroughly repugnant organisation, why willingly engage in competitive sewer wrestling.
And yes, I use Twitter regularly, many times per day, it's like crack. It's never made any money from me though.
Elon Musk 3.0

1. Getting Started
  2. Big Humanity Goals - Tesla/SpaceX etc
  3. Reducing risk/effects of Gov Power/ AI being used against us (humans). Next stage. Elon at 50, one life, Embrace/make future. Hope for huge [positive] impact on freedom of speech and democracy

Users = Value is a bit of a shareholder myth, but as long as the myth holds, people will keep paying the money. When it breaks, the money goes away.

Ebay bought skype because it had 54 million users.. and made a huge loss because, well, skype users != ebay users, and anyone could have seen that one coming.
Microsoft bought Skype? Normally MS destroy value of purchases (hotmail, yammer, more).

Ebay bought paypal (2002-2014/15). Then spun off (completed 2015).

That's just a list of unconnected things, not a roadmap.
"List of things that reduce risk to humanity". They're connected.

Why is there a need for roadmap? There are problems, they need fixing. No-one else steps up, Elon does.

Elon wrote a whitepaper for hyperloop, few half-hearted stabs at it. Now it looks like The Boring Company will be taking it on.

Surely same for Tesla and SpaceX. Elon wanted to buy an electric car, none suitable (admittedly he probably had high standards). SpaceX came from wanting to give Nasa a poke in the right direction, inspire, motivate people, put pressure on politicians or otherwise get something moving. He wanted to send a bit of greenery to Mars, tried to buy Russian ICBMs, other courses of action and finally realised he'd have to do it himself if no-one else would do it. He fully expected to lose the money he invested in both Tesla and SpaceX.

What's different with Twitter and social media?

Why on earth would Elon want to own a social network? What a complete waste of time and money, that does absolutely nothing to advance anything remotely meaningful.
If you to listen to the recent TED talk video interviewing Elon, you would understand his fascination with "Truth"
I think Twitter is the best PR that Tesla has going. Many of the company customers are there and he's always tweeting in reference of the company, features, and timelines. Why if it wasn't for Twitter, you would never have seen Joe mode on each tesla vehicle. Why not own Twitter? That's where most of his customers are and let's not forget of the fans of Space X.

• Love
Reactions: UkNorthampton
If you to listen to the recent TED talk video interviewing Elon, you would understand his fascination with "Truth"
I think Twitter is the best PR that Tesla has going. Many of the company customers are there and he's always tweeting in reference of the company, features, and timelines. Why if it wasn't for Twitter, you would never have seen Joe mode on each tesla vehicle. Why not own Twitter? That's where most of his customers are and let's not forget of the fans of Space X.
He doesn't need to own something to use it.

"List of things that reduce risk to humanity". They're connected.

Why is there a need for roadmap? There are problems, they need fixing. No-one else steps up, Elon does.
Feels like moving backwards, lets start with saving the world then move on to far less important issues. No one can credibly list Twitter censorship in a list of risks to humanity. That is just this fake culture war aiming to divide and turn people against each other, the real risk to humanity.

He doesn't need to own something to use it.

Feels like moving backwards, lets start with saving the world then move on to far less important issues. No one can credibly list Twitter censorship in a list of risks to humanity. That is just this fake culture war aiming to divide and turn people against each other, the real risk to humanity.
"saving the world" - in hand, check out his recent talks. He's optimistic, planning massive scale. Next... "this fake culture war aiming to divide and turn people against each other, the real risk to humanity" - yep - fix via twitter. Lots of options including replacing facebook and hate-encouraging algorithms. Those trying to divide us might get less attention.

I have a horrible feeling that this 'freedom of speech' drive will mean a lot more racism and disinformation on the platform.

Can't think of any positives yet.
That is always the concern but in a free country, the unknown may be expected. Just like any free speech, one does not have to listen. Change the channel, block the sender. Just like any Media outlet, you spread disinformation, your audience count goes down. Racism happens to be a tool that the left throw around when they don't have a rebuttal to a subject or topic. Hard to see positives when we've been gaslighted so often. Speech may hurt but you should have the freedom to speak. In United States, American Citizens understand the importance of the Bill of Rights.
1651061244481.png

Free speech is basically the right to criticise the monarch or by extension whoever happens to be in power without having your head cut off. It really doesn't have much to do with speech between private citizens, which could never in a practical sense be restricted anyway.

What worries me is Elon saying things like "By “free speech”, I simply mean that which matches the law". Free speech provided you don't break the law is also true in North Korea. It's a meaningless platitude.

I don't use Twitter, of Facebook for that matter.
Nor will I.

But I do wonder how long it will be before all Tesla owners see a Twitter Logo on the touch screen, inviting them to join and do what this place does perfectly well.
Twitter owned by Musk will never be objective and open with information as this place.
I'll hang about, thanks.

That is always the concern but in a free country, the unknown may be expected. Just like any free speech, one does not have to listen. Change the channel, block the sender. Just like any Media outlet, you spread disinformation, your audience count goes down. Racism happens to be a tool that the left throw around when they don't have a rebuttal to a subject or topic. Hard to see positives when we've been gaslighted so often. Speech may hurt but you should have the freedom to speak. In United States, American Citizens understand the importance of the Bill of Rights.
View attachment 798063
Errr... I think you're oversimplifying somewhat, and missing the part where "Free speech" in the context of modern social networks can also be used as a cover for spreading disinformation en-masse as a means to grow audiences (and sow disorder). A couple of particular events spring to mind but I can't remember the details specifically... darn. Something to do with elections, or Fanta, or Exits or something.... It's on the tip of my tongue! This is why we need rigorous checks and balances imposed by elected, representative governments and bodies.

There's a financial play though, and the friction between market makers and governments is normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smileysam
Why on earth would Elon want to own a social network? What a complete waste of time and money, that does absolutely nothing to advance anything remotely
It is one of the age old strategy in business - buy something if you think there is a risk of your competitors buying it. Twitter is a powerful medium for buyers like Mark Zuckerberg, Sundar Pichai and Tim Cook. There was a rumour that Mark was in the race with Tim Cook to buy Twitter. If Mark or Tim had bought Twitter that would have changed the landscape for Elon - no space in the social networking site, or where Joe public interact and its non-effect on Tesla. Youtubers and other celebs who promote Tesla are on Twitter. Imagine them moving to Zuckerbergs or Cook’s camp?

I don’t think he is going to change anything but will allow Twitter to go for its natural death or sell it like Paypal in few years time. But sort of changed the future for Facebook and Apple. Is it worth wasting 40 billion? The Godfather has valuable life lessons and all the answers - ‘This is business. Not personal’. We will know in few years time.

Last edited: