Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Two activated carbon filters" - layers on top of HEPA? Or physically diff location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know for certain whether or not the activated carbon filters advertised as part of the premium package are:

1 - Not present in the non-premium package cars. I know the HEPA filter is not present but is there no carbon in the cabin air filter?

2 - Are the carbon filters simply additional layers of filtration on top of the HEPA filter - and thus if you can get someone to sell you the HEPA filter and you put it yourself in the filter location (as seen on the thread "HEPA filters for everyone") you are ALSO getting the carbon filters, because they are simply additional layers? Or are they in a different physical location, buried back in the duct system somewhere out of site?

The only reason I personally will spend $3,500 on the premium package is for the HEPA system - and now that it seems we've learned that all post-refresh Teslas have the mounting location for the HEPA filter I'd rather skip the package on my next Tesla if possible.

As for health benefits let's try to keep this thread focused - there are other discussions about it. What convinced me was reading that researchers estimate up to 50% of the typical person's exposure to air pollution comes from simply driving an hour a day because the concentration of pollutants is so much higher when driving behind ICE cars on the highway.

All I know is BWD mode activates fan at 10 and it is really freaking loud but after 10 minutes of running it when I first got my car, it noticeably eliminated the VOCs from the new leather in my car. I know, new car smell is great, but I have an 18 month old and I'm sensitive to lung irritants as well so I tried it and it was great at eliminating the issues with new leather tanning. I fired it up once or twice after and no more VOCs can be detected by my nose due to the seating and plastics.

I try to stay away from ICE cars as much as possible and only get close to BEVs (luckily I see more than my fair share but I wish the %s were greater than 50% but I think it'll be another decade before we see those levels of BEV adoption).

That being said, I can't imagine using BWD mode constantly. If the car uses the HEPA even for normal air circulation, then that's great. I haven't smelled ICE fumes since I got my car, so it must do something with the air (maybe just the activated charcoal is enough).

I believe that they are separate filters in a different location, but I haven't seen them to be 100% certain.

The gentleman who reported back prices he asked the service center for gave a separate price for the carbon filter (singular).

This might suggest that the two versions of activated carbon which have to be chemically isolated are applied to opposite sides of one filter medium?

I believe that they are separate filters in a different location, but I haven't seen them to be 100% certain.
The gentleman who reported back prices he asked the service center for gave a separate price for the carbon filter (singular).
This might suggest that the two versions of activated carbon which have to be chemically isolated are applied to opposite sides of one filter medium?
I was interested in this because for my 2nd year service on my X it only list the 'carbon filter'. I have the PUP tho per my monroney sticker.

The HEPA (1045566-00-H) and carbon filters (1039042-00-B) are listed separately here.
https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/66327

gyEspRO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: timvracer and Tam
They are separate. You have a regular filter for normal A/C operation. The HEPA filter is much bigger and is located in the frunk area behind the cubby (under the cover). Here's the pic of the HEPA filter as presented by Musk:
https://electrek.co/2018/06/01/elon-musk-tesla-model-s-x-3-bioweapon-defense-mode-air-filter/

I use regular A/C with outside air circulation most of the time and it works well. I engage BWD only when stuck at stop-and-go traffic behind a car that apparently missed the state inspection, when there are grass fires or when I am occasionally being coal rolled :)

They are separate. You have a regular filter for normal A/C operation. The HEPA filter is much bigger and is located in the frunk area behind the cubby (under the cover). Here's the pic of the HEPA filter as presented by Musk:
https://electrek.co/2018/06/01/elon-musk-tesla-model-s-x-3-bioweapon-defense-mode-air-filter/

I use regular A/C with outside air circulation most of the time and it works well. I engage BWD only when stuck at stop-and-go traffic behind a car that apparently missed the state inspection, when there are grass fires or when I am occasionally being coal rolled :)

To be clear, though: all outside air pulled in by the HVAC system in any operating mode goes through first the HEPA filter and then the dual carbon filter on a Bioweapon equipped car.

The car doesn't have a different level of filtration in Bio and not - all the Bio mode does is crank the fan up and generate positive pressure inside to force leaks to go inside to outside.

To be clear, though: all outside air pulled in by the HVAC system in any operating mode goes through first the HEPA filter and then the dual carbon filter on a Bioweapon equipped car.

The car doesn't have a different level of filtration in Bio and not - all the Bio mode does is crank the fan up and generate positive pressure inside to force leaks to go inside to outside.

Yes I learned this later though my earlier post above right after deliver hinted at the fact the HEPA is always filtering because I never got ICE fume or any smells and still don't. Really glad I got the BWD even if they now offer it as a cheap separate upgrade. 2 years is a long time to wait.

Good to know then! Learn something new every day :)

Yeah, I keep telling people... once you get used to having great features like AP and the HEPA/Dual carbon filter, its tough to go back to anything else! I am even resisting moving to a Model 3 due to the lack of the HEPA filter.

From my service center: "So I just spoke to a technician and he informed me that the Hepa filters are replaced every 100,000 miles in the USA"

Have any others been told the same or different replacement 'schedules'?

The official service recommendation as of now is “every 3 years”.

My car is 2.5 years old and I’m having it done in a couple weeks. Been 75k miles and I’m gearing up for another wildfire and allergy season, so I figure now is as good a time as any.

The official service recommendation as of now is “every 3 years”.
My car is 2.5 years old and I’m having it done in a couple weeks. Been 75k miles and I’m gearing up for another wildfire and allergy season, so I figure now is as good a time as any.
Is that documented somewhere?

If your service center folks told you "every 3 years" and mine told me "100,000K" then how is one more 'official' than the other. :) I'm just actually looking to see if it is documented.

I checked my the last 2 X user manuals but it is not.