Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two CCS/CHAdeMO Units - Boston, MA (Jeffries Point)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

I think there is a new Supercharger going up in Boston near Jeffries Point. A new charge point on PlugShare says there is a Tesla Supercharger going up at the Shell station near Logan airport. Station info indicates this station having only 2 chargers, although it probably has more than two stalls. Can any local or anyone passing through check this location out (photos please!)? Thanks, Marco
7676EECC-8F3B-4986-8E0C-C1A96FDF24D8.png

IMG_2856.jpg

Another CCS supercharger is located at 348 Harrison Ave, Boston @ Whole Foods. Connector looks like the clumsy CCS1. The Tesla supercharger connector looks much sleeker. Why does the CCS1/CCS2 take so many connections to charge a battery?

Does any company sell a CCS to Tesla vehicle adapter for $100 or less? In new england, there are SO many Tesla SCs, destination chargers, Chargepoint L2, and other chargers that it's hard to justify compatibility with another charging standard. Of coarse, some EV owners may have special charging needs.

Last edited:
View attachment 468117

Another CCS supercharger is located at 348 Harrison Ave, Boston @ Whole Foods. Connector looks like the clumsy CCS1. The Tesla supercharger connector looks much sleeker. Why does the CCS1/CCS2 take so many connections to charge a battery?

Does any company sell a CCS to Tesla vehicle adapter for $100 or less? In new england, there are SO many Tesla SCs, destination chargers, Chargepoint L2, and other chargers that it's hard to justify compatibility with another charging standard. Of coarse, some EV owners may have special charging needs.
I’m pretty sure the location was added by someone who has little knowledge for charging stations (probably a new owner) who assumed all Fast charging stations were Tesla Superchargers. Too bad

View attachment 468117

This CCS-only charger is only 24kW, that's barely L3. There is currently no CCS Type 1 to Tesla adapter for anyone, although there are rumors that Tesla will eventually make something like this. They already make similar adapter for Europe, but both the CCS side and the Tesla side are different in the US. Just don't expect this adapter to cost less than $100.

That Shell station charger appears to be the same one used by Chargepoint, and their Chademo plug works with the Teslas' Chademo adapter.
It's the old Tritium charger that Chargepoint used to use (OEM'ed from Tritium). Chargepoint has since started using their own proprietary hardware - see the second picture in this post - Kennebunk ME Supercharger
This is probably a Greenlots installation (Greenlots was recently purchased by Shell New Energies - Greenlots announces acquisition by Shell, one of the world's leading energy providers - Greenlots)

• Informative
Reactions: JWardell
It's the old Tritium charger that Chargepoint used to use (OEM'ed from Tritium). Chargepoint has since started using their own proprietary hardware - see the second picture in this post - Kennebunk ME Supercharger
This is probably a Greenlots installation (Greenlots was recently purchased by Shell New Energies - Greenlots announces acquisition by Shell, one of the world's leading energy providers - Greenlots)

With Shell having their own charging network, it really becomes unlikely to have superchargers at their stations. Unfortunately, the gas station chains that already cooperate with Tesla (Wawa, Sheetz, QuickCheck, Pride etc) don't have presence in the Boston area except for Irving Oil.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
With Shell having their own charging network, it really becomes unlikely to have superchargers at their stations. Unfortunately, the gas station chains that already cooperate with Tesla (Wawa, Sheetz, QuickCheck, Pride etc) don't have presence in the Boston area except for Irving Oil.

This is partly because we aren't lucky enough to have these mega gas stations/restaurants around Boston as other parts of the country are lucky enough to have Wawa and Sheetz. Having EV chargers makes much more sense if you also have a well-respected quick restaurant or Deli for those folks to spend money in while they wait. Most of our gas stations are fuel only or a small convenience store.

This is partly because we aren't lucky enough to have these mega gas stations/restaurants around Boston as other parts of the country are lucky enough to have Wawa and Sheetz. Having EV chargers makes much more sense if you also have a well-respected quick restaurant or Deli for those folks to spend money in while they wait. Most of our gas stations are fuel only or a small convenience store.

As far as I know, the only supercharger in a large gas station with 24/7 amenities in MA is Hadley. I was hoping to a similar setting in the Boston area but probably the airport area isn't ideal for that. Maybe someday the service plazas along I-95 and I-90 will have superchargers.

Though it isn't in the "Boston area", the one in Hadley (I-91) is at a Pride gas station with amenities, and is only 10-15 miles or so from the West Springfield supercharger.
There is another Pride gas station with amenities going up just north of Hartford (I-91 Jennings Rd). Like Hadley, the construction process seems to be taking forever. I believe that station also has CNG and hydrogen as well.
Having seen how many Sheetz and Wawa stations in the mid-Atlantic area have added superchargers, it certainly would be nice to see Pride doing the same more extensively in New England.

As far as I know, the only supercharger in a large gas station with 24/7 amenities in MA is Hadley. I was hoping to a similar setting in the Boston area but probably the airport area isn't ideal for that. Maybe someday the service plazas along I-95 and I-90 will have superchargers.

Hey I just left there on a Boston to Hadley Sprint today!

I cannot wait for SC V3... Just about to Framingham for my 3rd SC stop today.