TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Two-day test drive, or renting a Model S/X

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by australis, Sep 1, 2018.

1. australis

australis New Member

Hello TMC,

I am a longtime Tesla fan who has been lurking on these forums for years, maybe even a decade now. I first found out about Tesla through AC Propulsion, long before Elon Musk was CEO and I got to sit in early Roadster and early Model S prototypes when they first showed them in public, which was a real thrill for me as an engineer.

I only recently have found myself in a position where I can financially justify the purchase of a Tesla. However it's important to me to make sure that it would suit my typical, long, boring commute, particularly on Autopilot. I've done a test drive of the Model S and the Model X but 20 or 30 minutes doesn't really cut it for determining if I can buy such an expensive car.

What I want to do is rent (or borrow!) a Tesla for a day or two to see how it feels on my regular commute between the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane. I have checked with pretty much every conceivable source for rentals including Evee, peer to peer carsharing services, major car rental companies and none of them really, truly have a Tesla for rent in Brisbane. I contacted Tesla sales, and they will loan one overnight, however they said financing would have to be arranged in advance, which is a nuisance when I'm still only considering the purchase.

Can anyone think of a way I could get my hands on an X or an S for a couple of days? I'm stumped on how to go about doing that. Don't mind spending a bit of money just to be sure that it works for my particular commute.

I'm polling TMC's collective wisdom here. Any thoughts? On how I can go about this?

2. TonyEm

TonyEm Member

Have you tried {{ngMeta['og:title']}} or even some of the big rentals have Model S's now.

Tesla are happy for overnight loan - if its the last stage of you deciding to buy ..

3. australis

australis New Member

Yup, tried Evee: nothing available in Brisbane or Sunshine Coast.

Thrifty has a Model S that they promote as being for rent, but that car is a phantom. I tried renting it and got nowhere.

4. Icey

Icey Member

I was on the edge, and I asked for the Model X for a overnight loan and they agreed. That tipped me over the edge and when I dropped it back in ordered it on the spot.
    Its hard to get a full day loan as they have test drives in them, but you could try hit them up for a Sunday loaner (they were quite last Sunday when I was there)

If they will not give you an overnight loaner, Show them your serious and throw the $5k deposit down and cancel if you don't like it. You have 3 days to pull out of the deal.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. australis

australis New Member

Thanks @Icey, that's useful insight.

6. TonyEm

TonyEm Member

Theres a business in Melbourne called CarBar (no affiliation - just saw in the local paper) - they offer a subscription service for used cars called CarBar+ which is a minimum 2 week car rental and insurance bundled (FAQs - Ask Carbar | Carbar)

Theres no Tesla listed at the moment but ive suggested to them that its is their interest having an S / X on their books as there is a fair bit of interest to rent the vehicles ... i would be right in there for a Model X for a month ...

7. australis

australis New Member

Interesting suggestion @TonyEm. I lodged a comment on CarBar's website urging them to offer a Tesla.